Gas boiler cupboard - Safety

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to create a cupboard around my kitchen combi boiler.
Is it safe to cover all 5 sides? Or do the top or bottom have to be left exposed?

Also, is there any issue in trying to line the cupboard with some sort of soundproofing material?

Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
1. Check the installation manual for your boiler make and model for required clearances, both installation clearances and servicing clearances.
2. Nothing wrong with soundproofing provided:
2a. It is not flammable material.
2b. You allow for manufacturer's required installation / servicing clearances when installing it.

I understand you can completely enclose them, but check the manual for essential clearances. My cupboard is to manufacturers spec., but in addition I made it open at the top and made it quickly removable for all-round access anyway.

Looking at this, it looks like I could cover it on all sides?

upload_2022-2-11_21-4-4.png

upload_2022-2-11_21-5-11.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-2-11_21-3-52.png
    upload_2022-2-11_21-3-52.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Casings round boilers are often a massive pita even if they confirm to mi's.
As above at the very least make it easily removable.

Air flow to help keep the appliance cool, access for servicing and a leak does not wreck the cupboard.
Assuming it is room sealed as most are these days.(y)

Air flow to help keep the appliance cool, access for servicing and a leak does not wreck the cupboard.
Assuming it is room sealed as most are these days.(y)
and new boilers do not need air for cooling which is why you go by minimum dimensions which allows for servicing etc (y)

Jus for reference, Viessmann got back to me and said:

"5mm either side of the boiler, 150mm below and 250mm above the boiler.
With the cupboard door open 700mm in front of the boiler."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back