cupboard around a boiler

D

Deleted 102983

Hi, I have a boiler in the kitchen with external ventilation etc all set up correctly, but I've now had a kitchen unit/cupboard fitted around the boiler.

I want to know if there is enough ventilation space around the boiler? The space at the moment is as follows:

There is about 6 inches of gap above the boiler up to the roof of the cupboard, there is about 10 inches of space to the right hand side of the boiler before the side of the cupboard. There is about 1inch of space between the boiler had left hand side of the panel and on the bottom, there is about 15inches of space from the bottom of the boiler to the bottom of the cupboard.

I am planning to drill some large ventilation holes on the roof and the side of the cupboard (covered by a plastic air vent panel).

Can anyone tell me if that is enough ventilation area around the boiler? Will it be okay to use this way?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I should have added that the boiler is a Potterton Flamingo 11. Thx,

Have a look at www.partsarena.com/baxi flamingo instructions are in there and will tell you clearences etc

Hi, thanks for this, it's a excellent link. I've just found the details as below. But what I don't understand is that section one talks about clearances around the boiler (saying that the installation at the front should be 610mm, but then in section 2 Ventilation, it says that any surfaces that are nearer than 75mm should be covered with special material. This implies that you could have a cupboard door nearer than 600mm to the boiler. I'd be really grateful if you could explain this?

Extract:

1) CLEARANCES AROUND THE BOILER

Any position selected for the boiler must give the following minimum clearances for installation and maintenance: 610mm (2ft.) at the front, 50mm (2in.) at the top - except where the optional pump casing is to be fitted, when 178mm (7in.) must be allowed. 150mm (6in.) at the bottom, 5mm (1/5in.) at each side.

2) VENTILATION

If the boiler is to be installed in a confined space such as a cupboard, the space will need ventilating. Openings should be provided at the top and bottom of the cupboard, each having a free area of RS50 175 sq.cm. (27 sq.in.) RS40 138 sq.cm. (21 sq.ins.). Where the openings draw air direct from outside the building the size of the free areas can be halved. Purpose designed, permanent air vents are not required in the room in which the boiler is installed, whether or not it is in a cupboard. Refer to BS.5376 Part 2 for further information.

Any internal surface of the cupboard that is made of a combustible material and is nearer to the boiler than 75mm (3ins.) should be insulated as described in British Gas publication Material and Installation Specification for Domestic Central Heating and Hot Water.

Sponsored Links
The two sets of dimensions will probably be the absolute minimum amount of space (with the cupboard door open) required to get to the various bits to carry out maintenance on the boiler, and the minimum amount of space and ventilation for safe normal operation with the cupboard door closed.

What I did was to build the cupboard so it can be dismantled/removed if we need to dismantle the boiler.

What is essential is the clearances for ventilation. Our "cupbopard" only has a rail top and bottom, not complete panels.

Check the boiler requirements and follow them to the letter.

Hi, I'm fitting a cupboard around a boiler and have checked the clearance requirements, however the installation manual says that I should use an insulation material to cover any cuboard surfaces that are closer than 3inches (see extract below). Does anyone know the name of the material I should be using, I've tried looking for the BG publication but can't find anything to help. I think they are referring to the heat/fire resistant silver back thick woven fabric that i've seen in some older houses, but I don't know what this is called. CAN ANYONE HELP or advise?!

EXTRACT "Any internal surface of the cupboard that is made of a combustible material and is nearer to the boiler than 75mm (3ins.) should be insulated as described in British Gas publication Material and Installation Specification for Domestic Central Heating and Hot Water"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back