Ancient Myson Apollo boiler - suitable for boxing in?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Our current ancient boiler is located where our new downstairs 2nd bath/shower room is going to be. The long term plan is to put in a new combi boiler either in the kitchen or in a large cupboard off the hall. For now however we're going to have to soldier on with the old boiler its current position.

First of all I'm wondering whether this boiler is suitable to be in a bath/shower room, secondly I'm wondering whether it needs to be boxed in or not. If it needs boxing in, I could build a cupboard for it allowing approx 10cm either side of the boiler, approx 40cm above and below, and up to 40cm space from the cupboard door to the boiler front (if that makes sense), so hopefully that's enough ventilation.

If we decided to go for a bath with shower (as opposed to just a shower) the taps would be at the other end, and the bottom of the bath would be a good 40cm+ away from the actual boiler. All electrics and wall fused switch thingys would be contained within the cupboard.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows if this boiler is suitable for such placement, whether it would actually need boxing into a cupboard, and whether the proposed cupboard sounds suitable in terms of ventilation and whatever.

Thanks in advance folks.

Sponsored Links
If your going to the expense of a new bathroom why not get the boiler replaced at the same time. I think that not all the parts are available for the apollos. DOn't know about cupboard/bathroom installation for this boiler of the top of my head.

If your going to the expense of a new bathroom why not get the boiler replaced at the same time. I think that not all the parts are available for the apollos. DOn't know about cupboard/bathroom installation for this boiler of the top of my head.

Can't afford a new boiler yet, and I'm absolutely itching to get started on this new bathroom. Already got most of what we need other than a very cheap bathroom suite (will pick up a sale one), and I'll be doing most of the work myself. So it won't really be much of an expense (£300-400 on top of what we already have maybe).

My way of thinking is that I can do the bathroom first, then when the Apollo finally packs up, or in autumn/winter time (whichever comes first), I'll get the new boiler installed elsewhere in the house, and convert the old boiler cupboard into some sort of towel cupboard.

Well maybe lol.

I don't have the installation instructions for this boiler and the manufacturers no longer exist in their original form.

Some form of high and low level ventilation would be needed in the absence of manufacturer instructions the BS 5440 requirements must be followed.

This is reasonably complex and related to the nett gas input of the Apollo. On site advice from an RGI should be sought.

The boiler is not IPX5 rated and therefore should not be accessible by a person in a shower room without the use of a key or tool.

Personally I think you should change your priorities with regards to the bathroom fitment until you can afford to make a propoer job.

Sponsored Links
you haven't said which model but yes it will need ventilation of the compartment.

presuming its open flued

for air from outside you will need

5cm2 per kw high level
10cm2 per kw low level

for air from bathroom double the above for compartment vents

for the room vents direct to outside 5cm2 for every KW above 7KW at low level
but if the vents are in another room then the ventilation will need to be 50% more for each internal vent

you haven't said which model but yes it will need ventilation of the compartment.

presuming its open flued

5cm2 per kw high level
10cm2 per kw low level

but if the vents are in another room then the ventilation will need to be 50% more for each internal vent

You should try to learn a bit about gas appliance instalations and regulations before picking up a book and quoting willy nilly from it.

That could be some very some dangerous gas advice that you are giving.

If the boiler is in fact open flued then it may NOT be fitted in a bath room or shower room.

presuming its open flued

5cm2 per kw high level
10cm2 per kw low level

Yea, open flued appliance in a bathroom is a no no unless things have changed drastically.

I think I'll knock up the partition, fit it all out, but leave the water off until we're ready to install a new boiler in a few months time. Knowing me it'll take me that long to get it all done anyway lol :LOL: .

Desperate to get this project underway, but don't want any safety issues.

mr gas and PVC man

he has stated at the beginning that he wasn't sure of the requirements and mentioned boxing in
i gave him advice on compartment ventilation
end of! its no wonder people give up bothering to help others on here as there are too many pedantic pricks on here!!
all that needed to be said to the OP is that it will need the compartment as it is a bathroom

POST USEFUL INFO OR STFU!!

Yeah but you cant Vent the compartement into the bathroom on open flue though!! :rolleyes:

mr gas and PVC man

he has stated at the beginning that he wasn't sure of the requirements and mentioned boxing in
i gave him advice on compartment ventilation
end of! its no wonder people give up bothering to help others on here as there are too many pedantic pricks on here!!
all that needed to be said to the OP is that it will need the compartment as it is a bathroom

POST USEFUL INFO OR STFU!!

Pedantic, no. End of ,no.

You advised ventilating a compartment for an open flued boiler directly into a bathroom. :rolleyes:

An unprotected compartment cannot be installed in a bathroom. What happens when the door is left open? There may as well be no compartment.

The advice that you are giving has not been thought through and could be very dangerous.

You clearly should not be giving gas advice on this forum(or any other) until you have more expirience with gas appliance installation and regulations.

Can the OP please tell us which model of Myson Apollo, then we may be able to help. I have a Myson Apollo 30/50B which is room sealead and in a compartment. i also have a full set of MIs
Oh and by the way it is 22 years old, and I can still get parts. In those 22 years I have purchased 1 thermo couple and 1 pump overrun stat, approx total £30. Needles to say I will not be replacing it in the foreseeable future

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back