Boiler problems ? Not sure

Why have you not got the installer back. Do you realise what the implications are if the boiler cannot be or is not serviced :rolleyes:

Was the installer CORGI Registered?

If it is kettling in the boiler then it is due to scale or sludge in the boiler or poor water flow rate through the boiler. You can expect premature failure of the boiler.

The boiler manufacturers do not just dream up their recommendations on clearances. They can be made for a number of reasons. Sometimes they make mistakes that is why I suggested your installer contact the manufacturer to check.

132 sq cm is an opening having an equivalent free area size of 132 mm x 132 mm or 250 x 70 mm etc. If it is a grille it is likely to have about 50% fee area and therefore require a size perhaps 264 x 132mm etc but this all needs looking at precisely and depends on the grille.

Sponsored Links
And now the strangest thing has happened !!!

I have been up in the loft to have a look at the header tank. I pressed the ballcock doen to let some more water in, and then wiggle my finger about uin the outlet pipe

... and now the noise has gone !!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

What was causing it then ??????????

noonespecial said:
Why have you not got the installer back. Do you realise what the implications are if the boiler cannot be or is not serviced :rolleyes:

Was the installer CORGI Registered?

Installer was CORGI registered. It was over a year ago, but with only one year's guarantee.

I am going to attempt to get the boiler serviced this week by a CORGI registered person. I'll let you know what he says.

I assume that if I find out it has been improperly fitted, that can still cause problems for the installer - who would I contact ??

Sponsored Links
Your boiler is installed on an open vented system.

Very few modern boilers should be fitted like this.

Check the MI to see if your model requires a sealed system.

You said:-

""" 2) The system was completely flushed and an inhibitor added when it was fitted"""

Unfortunately "completely flushed"" has no scientific or legal definition. In cowboy terms this would mean it was drained and refilled, all in about 30 minutes.

In careful installer terms this would mean its power flushed for five hours using the appropriate chemicals.

To the user there is a lot of difference and the future reliability depends critically on the quality of the water treatment.

Tony Glazier

croydoncorgi said:
Which SD model is this anyway?
Xeon?

Yes mate

Its a Xeon

Oh and BTW, the kettling has started again after about an hour of no noise, you would think I was making tea again

If it's a Xeon 80FF, where do you get 132 sq cm ventilation from??
The manual says '132 sq cm FROM OUTSIDE, 264 sq cm from room or space'. Or is it a 40FF? They're all different!

And in most situations where a boiler is 'in a cupboard' there's no floor and no top to the cupboard, so cutting ventilation holes is not a requirement.

croydoncorgi said:
If it's a Xeon 80FF, where do you get 132 sq cm ventilation from??
The manual says '132 sq cm FROM OUTSIDE, 264 sq cm from room or space'. Or is it a 40FF? They're all different!

And in most situations where a boiler is 'in a cupboard' there's no floor and no top to the cupboard, so cutting ventilation holes is not a requirement.

Howay man croydon mate

Give the lad a break !!! - my MI says 132 from above and 132 from below

No one has yet answered this question - what are the implications of my boiler not having the correct ventilation ??

Smaller boilers (eg. Xeon 40FF) create less heat so require less compartment ventilation.
132 sq cm would be correct for a 40FF from inside the room.

If there's not enough ventilation, the boiler may get hotter than the designer intended. What happens then is in the lap of the gods! (obviously!)

and actually, I DID tell you why ventilation is needed:

it evidently needs case-cooling to protect electronics, etc. from overheating.

croydoncorgi said:
Smaller boilers (eg. Xeon 40FF) create less heat so require less compartment ventilation.
132 sq cm would be correct for a 40FF from inside the room.

If there's not enough ventilation, the boiler may get hotter than the designer intended. What happens then is in the lap of the gods! (obviously!)

Mine's a 40ff

I'm feeling a little bit happier about the ventilation situation because, but for the left hand side, it is ventilated as it should be.

My main concern is this flaming noise like a kettle - again, if I left it is my boiler likely to pack in in the short term ???

Why do people fixate on less important details?

The main question is can your model be fitted on an open vented system!

Since you have been asked so many times what model you have, surely a maths teacher could answer the question?

If there is insufficient ventilation then its pretty obvious that the likely problem is that it may overheat? It might not catch fire but might increase the chance of parts failing particularly the electronics.

Help us to help you.

Tony

Agile said:
Why do people fixate on less important details?

The main question is can your model be fitted on an open vented system!

Since you have been asked so many times what model you have, surely a maths teacher could answer the question?

If there is insufficient ventilation then its pretty obvious that the likely problem is that it may overheat? It might not catch fire but might increase the chance of parts failing particularly the electronics.

Help us to help you.

Tony

OK, its a Suanier Duval 40FF Xeon

Can my model be fitted on an open vented system ??

Now we know the model a Xeon 40 FF we can give you the info.

Yours can be fitted on an open or sealed system. So yours is Ok but it sounds as if you need to increase the water level in the header tank unless the float valve was stuck when you touched it. The water with system cold should be about 50 mm above outlet to feed system.

Fig 2 in the MI clearly says there should be 6 mm clearance on either side. This will be for ventilation purposes.

It also says 132 sq cm of top and bottom ventilation to the cupboad.

It may be possible to slide the boiler to the right along the mounting bracket to give the LH clearance. Depends on how solidly the flue has been fitted.

Tony

Agile said:
Now we know the model a Xeon 40 FF we can give you the info.

Yours can be fitted on an open or sealed system. So yours is Ok but it sounds as if you need to increase the water level in the header tank unless the float valve was stuck when you touched it. The water with system cold should be about 50 mm above outlet to feed system.

Fig 2 in the MI clearly says there should be 6 mm clearance on either side. This will be for ventilation purposes.

It also says 132 sq cm of top and bottom ventilation to the cupboad.

It may be possible to slide the boiler to the right along the mounting bracket to give the LH clearance. Depends on how solidly the flue has been fitted.

Tony

Thanks Tony.

I understand, having read through this thread, that I haven't been very clear - sorry. I'm panicking thats all - DIY is not my forte !

Now then - now you know what my system is, can I ask a few questions for you to answer please

1) I am assuming that, with the whole boiler being ventilated as per instructions, the lack of clearance on the left hand side is less of an issue ? Or am I wrong ?

2) The kettling noise : It has only started in the last few days. In my loft, I have two header tanks - water comes out of the left hand one when I run the bath, I am assuming that the water for my central heating system originates from the one on the right. The water in the header tank on the right is a bit sludgy - not totally clear. The kettle noise only begins when the radiators are up to full warmth. The water is about 5 cm above the outlet hole, but when I wiggled my findger around in the outlet, it was a bit sludgy. The kettle noise takes longer to start now that I have done this. I have also pressed the ballcock down to fill up the tank a bit further, also resulting in a longer kettling time.

Tony, do you think this is the cause of my problem - if so, what do I need to do to stop the kettling happening ?

Cheers for your patience

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back