Replacing a combi boiler in a kitchen cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am trying to weigh up whether it would be possible to replace a combi boiler (a Vaillant EcoTec 831 Plus) that is situated in a kitchen cupboard. The cupboard was built around the boiler as per the attached picture. The right-side cupboard door has been taken off for the purposes of the boiler but is normally in situ concealing the boiler. It actually hangs from the top bar rather than being fixed with hinges, is held securely in place by two clips visible at the top and magnets at the bottom, and opens like a cat flap to access the boiler's control panel without having to take right-side door each time access to the boiler control panel is required.

If were to replace the boiler what are the chances that it could be done while retaining the cupboard unit. The unit is fixed into the back wall via screws. Best would be if the boiler could be replaced without displacing the cupboard at all. Obviously, the new boiler would be installed by a gas safe engineer. Worst would be having to start from scratch, i.e. removing the cupboard altogether, replacing the boiler and then rebuilding the cupboard around it - in this case the unit might not survive its removal in tact and could be left with and asymmetrical set of kitchen cupboards..
IMG_20231202_170329364.jpg

Anyone gone through something similar who can lend their experience?

Sponsored Links
Yes I have done loads like that, a bit of a pain at times but nothing hard about it

@ianmcd - thanks. So when you've done a replacement of a boiler in a cupboard have you generally been able to do it while leaving the cupboard in situ?
Even though it might have been a pain, it would avoid the potentially greater pain (for me at least) of having to mess with the current cupboard.

Sponsored Links
@ianmcd - thanks. So when you've done a replacement of a boiler in a cupboard have you generally been able to do it while leaving the cupboard in situ?
Even though it might have been a pain, it would avoid the potentially greater pain (for me at least) of having to mess with the current cupboard.
yes as long as you select a boiler that can fit in there it can be done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back