Minimum height of Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Fitting some backboxes ahead of getting some new sockets wired in and I can't find anything trustworthy online to say if there is a minimum height which the sockets should be mounted at.

It's a 1930's property which was re-wired in around 2005. Currently the sockets are mounted at 180mm above finished floor level. I can't see any reference to minimum heights in Part P, but I'm unsure if theres any guidance on this in IEE?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan.

Sponsored Links
if you wanted to put them at the current standard (which people will be increasingly used to, and will come to think that low sockets are strange and inconvenient) then the minimum height is 450mm

If neither you nor any occupant will ever become old, infirm, disabled, fat or pregnant, or have a bad back or knee, then in an old house you can put them near the floor if you want.

AIUI part M requires provision to be made for disabled accessibility and the guidance issued by the government suggests that sockets and switches should be placed between 450mm and 1200mm from the floor.

However in most cases (I belive if the property is being completely gutted it's treated like a new property) with an existing property you are only required to make things no less bad accessibility wise than they were before. So putting the new sockets at the same height as the existing ones is fine.

The above is from memory, there may be errors in it.

Sponsored Links
It is Part M not Part P which gives heights of sockets. There is some good advice as to heights but they have also made some errors. Tall people can bend down to read items which are low. However some one in a wheel chair can't extend themselves to read items which are too high.

The 450 mm to 1200 mm (400 mm to 1200 mm for commercial) to reach items is a good rule. (Section 8 ) but "controls that need close vision" being mounted 1200 mm to 1400 mm is rather a silly rule it caused a heated argument between me and building inspector as at 1200 mm my mother wheel chair bound could not read the central heating temperature.

Once presented with a good reason for not complying most building inspectors will allow you to break the rules even on a new build and with an old house no need to comply.

The wiring regulations have things like:-
522.6.1 Wiring systems shall be selected and erected so as to minimize the damage arising from mechanical stress, e.g. by impact abrasion, penetration, tension or compression during installation, use or maintenance.

There are times where Part M and wiring regulations come into conflict for example putting sockets low or high enough that furniture on wheels will hit wall above or below the socket not the socket it's self. It is a case of using some common sense rather than following the rules blindly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back