Advice on socket heights for new extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm going to be running 1st fix in for sockets in my new extension and have come across a dilemma that I hoped someone on here could give me a definitive answer for.

The extension 'extends' an existing dining room wall that has two sockets (part of the existing ring) in the wall. The sockets aren't 450mm from the floor - they are 300mm from the floor and are wired in red/black wiring so I'm assuming they are original wiring. The wires for them come up from a concrete floor so I can't raise the sockets.

I know that Building regulations state that sockets need to be 450mm from the floor.

I don't want two sockets on a wall lower than other sockets on the same wall as it won't look very good.

So my dilemma is this...

1) Do I split the old sockets wiring and try and trace it out to the adjacent sockets and then re-run the cables up and through the ceiling in order to raise them to the required level.

2) Put in the new sockets into the extension at the same level (300mm from the floor) as the old ones so they all look the same.

I've read that the minimum socket height is only applicable to 'new' builds as part of the building regulations. But I've not seen the "actual" regulations to confirm this. I'm really worried that if I keep the 300mm height through-out someone inspecting the work will fail it due to the socket height not being correct??

I would love someone to give me some advice on this. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
ISTM that the building regs are quite clear on this question:

"The recommendations of this volume of this approved document apply to newly erected dwellings,
and dwellings undergoing material alteration, only. They do not apply to the extension of a dwelling."

from Building Regulations Approved Doc M Volume 1 page 1 para 0.2

The cases where part M1 applies are:
c. Changing the use to become a hotel or boarding house.
d. Changing the use to become a residential institution.
e. Changing the use to become a public building.
j. Changing the use to that of a shop

from Manual to the Building Regulations page 30 para A20

These documents are freely available on line.

Last edited:
ISTM that the building regs are quite clear on this question:

"The recommendations of this volume of this approved document apply to newly erected dwellings,
and dwellings undergoing material alteration, only. They do not apply to the extension of a dwelling."

from Building Regulations Approved Doc M Volume 1 page 1 para 0.2

The cases where part M1 applies are:
c. Changing the use to become a hotel or boarding house.
d. Changing the use to become a residential institution.
e. Changing the use to become a public building.
j. Changing the use to that of a shop

from Manual to the Building Regulations page 30 para A20

These documents are freely available on line.

That's great news then. I can just put the rest of the sockets at the same height and I'll just refer anyone to those regs if it is questioned. Thanks for the links and referring to the relevant parts. Very much appreciated :)

Yes, but as you have seen, they are not 'regs'; they are 'recommendations'.

Even if you build a new house for yourself, you can have the sockets wherever you want.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but as you have seen, they are not 'regs'; they are 'recommendations'.

Even if you build a new house for yourself, you can have the sockets wherever you want.

Yep, but ideally want to adhere to as many recommendations as I can. Especially if it's of no consequence (extra work / cost) to myself. But, you make a very good point. Thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back