Socket heights in new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

We have having a ground floor single storey extension and the electrician has just installed the sockets. They are around 450mm from the floor level. I queried this with him and he told me it’s the regulations. Having looked into it, I think Part M only applies to new build and not extensions.

This is from the approved Document M

“the recommendations of this volume of this approved Document M apply to newly erected dwellings, and dwellings undergoing material alteration only. They do not apply to the extension of a dwelling”

I emailed my building control officer to ask and his response is

“Technically the height of switches and sockets applies to all new building works, which includes new dwellings and extensions. However I have taken the view previously that if the extension is less than 25% of the floor area of the main dwelling I would accept the switches and sockets at the same height as the existing dwelling.”

Surely this contradicts what the approved document says? I would be happy to follow the guidance but they just look ridiculous!

Sponsored Links
The approved document is not the law, it is some ones interruption of the law, I have had the reverse where the LABC inspector has said I need an extractor fan even with an opening window.

It does seem odd with 450 mm domestic, 400 mm commercial and you can have sockets built into the floor. However an electrician needs to have a compliance document issued so needs to do what the scheme provider recommends it is nothing to do with LABC. So if the scheme provider says 450 mm that is what it is.

Sponsored Links
Why are sockets meant to be installed at that hight?

It is to avoid damage with wheel chair wheels, and to be high enough so the infirm can still use them. Not only the height, but also not allowed in corners where wheel chair users could not access.

However it is a bit stupid, as clearly without a stair lift upper floors can't be used by wheel chair users, so there is really no point, and it details items needing manipulation and reading need to be at I think 1200 mm. Not sure it may be 1400 mm, this would mean a thermostat needs placing that high, but to work well the thermostat needs to be where it gets the natural flow of air, so traditionally we mount them low down and slightly to the side of the radiator. To install pipe work so the TRV (thermostatic radiator valve) is at the height required to read and manipulate it would be silly.

We may have some HMI (Human machine interface) at a more easy to use height, but not with the sensors for temperature built in, I know EvoHome has such an interface, but in the main any thermostat is a combination of controls, display, and sensor and the latter should be placed where required to do the controlling.

The same applies to consumer units, to place where children can play with them is silly, yet so many are in Harry Potter's bedroom location under the stairs.

I think we need less regulations and more common sense.

Also, the socket height requirements are a tiny part of Part M. If the socket heights are a requirement for an extension, then all of the Part M regulations would have to be followed. Like ramps for wheelchair access, extra wide doors, ground floor WC, etc.

They don't apply because, as you have hightlighted, the very first paragraph of Part M says
“the recommendations of this volume of this approved Document M apply to newly erected dwellings, and dwellings undergoing material alteration only. They do not apply to the extension of a dwelling”
There's no mention of a percentage for extension size.

You have the reply from LABC. Tell your electrician that you are the customer and that he/she needs to read the building regs.

1690462456443.png

Indeed. Approved Documents are not law. They merely provide ways on which the legislation set by government can be complied with. It’s a guide.
It may be possible to do works that meet Primary Legislation in different way, but LABC consider the Approved Documents as tablets of stone handed down by Moses*.
So you’ll have a huge job trying to argue an alternate approach.

*Annoyingly, some LABC officers also have their own little hobby horses that they like to enforce.

I have successfully argued with my LABC that extensions do not have to comply with Part M. As long as the height of the sockets and switches are in keeping with the existing house it’s ok.

problem is that some sparks are trying to tell customers that fuseboard changes need to comply with part m too

It would be kind to think that those sparks are just making work for themselves. Unfortunately, it’s just that they do not understand the regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back