Socket Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am re-wiring an upstairs ring main to include extra sockets in an old house. This is for my assessment for part P. I will not need to submit to building control as the notification will be part of the assessment. However i need to be sure i place the sockets at the correct height.

Is 450mm only for new builds ? Some say it's up to the local authority but i will not be using the local authority.

The existing sockets are below 450 and would leave big holes if i try and raise them.

Some clarification would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Part M says:
The requirements of this Part do not apply to:
(a) an extension of or material alteration of a dwelling; or...

Part M (Access to and use of buildings) is where the socket height question arises.

I am re-wiring an upstairs ring main to include extra sockets in an old house. This is for my assessment for part P. I will not need to submit to building control as the notification will be part of the assessment.
How can that be? If you are not already registered then you cannot self-certify compliance. There's no exemption in the Building Regulations for work done as part of a Competent Person scheme assessment...

Is 450mm only for new builds ?
Yes.

Some say it's up to the local authority
It isn't.

Thanks for the replys.
NAPIT who are conducting my assesment made the following statement.

"The job for the assessment doesn’t need to be notified to the local building control you will be able to sign the job off and notify that to us once you have had your onsite assessment"

I will assume 450 is not compulsory for old buildings.

Sponsored Links
Aww that`s a bit naughty as they presupposing a pass not a fail.
If you were to fail then how could you notify prior commencement.

They should not be doing that, no way.

However to be fair, at least some of the scheme operators right at the onset of Part P did actually suggest this as a way of doing things. But now it`s passed its infancy they should not be making that mistake really.

The 450mm to 1200mm rule does not apply to rewires, just new builds.
Actually it`s just suggested as one way of complying with Part M but it would be difficult to say what alternatives there might be to acheive it.

Anyway , no prob on that in a rewire as such.

Aww that`s a bit naughty as they presupposing a pass not a fail.
If you were to fail then how could you notify prior commencement.
And even if you pass, how does that work retroactively? Passing does not mean that at the time you did the work you were registered, therefore at the time you did the work you were legally bound to notify in advance.

NAPIT's stance is a bit like saying you can drive around on your own without L-plates just because it's only a few days until you take your driving test....

Surely if you've done your Part P theory or are at least studying towards it you should either know the answer or at the very least know where to look to find the answer.

Surely NAPIT want proof that you've got the relevant theory qualifications befor ethey come out for your practical assessment?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back