socket heights etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, before you mention it i know of the 450-1200mm height regulations of new build premises. My query is that a property has been re-wired recently to all the old socket/switch positions to save on chasing. This of course is perfectly acceptable. The owner of said property is thinking about converting the bungalow to add a few rooms to what will be the upstairs. What heights would you go with upstairs?? Surely you wouldn't go with the new reg heights? I am just thinking ahead as he hasn't submitted any plans yet.
Thanks in anticipation of your views.

Sponsored Links
They can be the same as the existing.

There's no point complying with Part M for socket heights if you also do not have all the other
wide entry doorway
ramps
wide downstairs wheelchair WC access
etc
etc

IMO the current heights are very convenient, and as they become widespread they will not look odd to the eye.

The 450 - 1200mm limits are just guide figures in the Approved Document for Part M, not absolute regulations. Ditto for the no-worse-than-existing "requirement."

Sponsored Links
I'm rewiring my own house to thhights specified in part M, if a house is being fully refurbed i like to do it to those heights too if the customer is willing, on re-wires it depends on the decoration and weather they want it. Alot of people seem to think it's the law and doesn't comply when re-wires are done and part M hieghts are not followed.

Personally i tihnk it's a good idea, no matter what the property is, ultimatly it makes things alot more accessable and the unsightlyness will eventually become a thing of the past.

Best accessibility is going to mean different things to different people, and what's ideal for one person is not necessarily ideal for another. The suggestions in the Part M Approved Document aren't even consistent - Compare all the different suggested heights in section 4.30 with the suggested dwelling heights of 450 to 1200mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back