minimum wall depth for fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We're having a stone wall knocked through where the fusebox is currently attached to and plan to put up the thinnest possible stud wall for the fusebox to be re-attached to and have a cupboard built around it.Does anyone know the minimum depth of stud wall for a fuse box to be fixed to?

Obviously I'll need to talk to an electrician but this would be handy to know whilst I'm at the planning stage.

Sponsored Links
It all depends on the wiring to the fuseboard. Does the wiring come up, or down the wall?
Post a picture on here, that will help to understand.

And you say STONE wall. Do you really mean "stone"??

We're having a stone wall knocked through where the fusebox is currently attached to and plan to put up the thinnest possible stud wall for the fusebox to be re-attached to and have a cupboard built around it.Does anyone know the minimum depth of stud wall for a fuse box to be fixed to?
If I understand you correctly, there's not really any minimum. As far as I am aware, you could attach a CU to a partition just a few mm thick (i.e. 'a board') if it were strong enough to physically support the box. However, as TTC has implied, it's more a question of where the cables to it do/will/can run, since that it quite likely to be within your stud wall.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You say the wall is to be knocked through, is this purely for fixing the fuse board or for opening up the space therefore relocation of the board.
Is the new board a recessed board that will sit flush within the finished wall?
If using a recessed board the recess would require to be no less than 110mm, accommodate the mounting box and to allow for some fixing timbers behind the unit.
So that would suggest at least 110mm stud, then the addition of plasterboard at either 9.5mm or 12.5mm per side and a 3mm plaster skim per side.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back