Minimum you can trim off a carpet edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice on trimming off a small amount of carpet edge before i peel half the room back off the gripper.

Im fitting a new fire hearth in a gap where an existing one was and i need it to match up to the old carpet edge so i might need to trim a bit off and tighten the carpet back on one side of the room and around the 3 sides of the new hearth.. Whats the mimimum you can trim off? As the hearth is only slightly too deep its either trim 3-5mm off the carpet or the back of the stone.

Sponsored Links
I’m no expert, but I think there’ll be no minimum you can trim off of anything, just a maximum.

If it is proper carpet with a woven back then individual wefts/warps could be taken off.

yeah its just a small amount off a woven back carpet not a cheap one. I just didn't know if it required a minimum amount of spare to let the knife get a good hold and then to stretch it over the gripper. Thanks guys

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back