Minumum stair Landing width - regulation type question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone out there who knows the answer to this?? Its a bit off topic but here goes.

I have aloft extension which is reached by a stair case ascending from the main landing.

This stair case hits a 1.5.X 1.5 meter landing area which is enclosed on the all three sides. There is a door directly in front of you to the loft extension.

Question - Can I reduce this landing width (distance between edge of landing and loft extension door) to say 50cm? A friend who knows about such things said there was a minimum requirement of around 50cm for the width to the door but he wasnt sure.

Being able to knock this down to 50cm would give me a lot lot more room in the loft extension. Its only stud wall and so its no buggy to move. Of course I have checked for other obstacles structural or otherwsie and there are none.

Is this work notifiable to building control
or indeed planning conrol?

Rgds. Scott.

Sponsored Links
Building regs.

The unobstructed length of a landing, measured along its centre line and clear of any door swing, must
be at least 1.2 metres,
except -
a. in a dwelling, the length of a landing may reduce to at least 900 mm; and
b. a door may open onto a landing between flights such that at any angle of swing it does not diminish
the effective width of the landing to less than the width of the stair or ramp; and
c. a door may open onto the bottom landing of a flight such that at any angle of swing a clear length
of at least 400 mm is left across the full width of the landing.

Looks like 900mm is the minimum.

The length and width of a landing is not defined, but it must be at least as long and wide as the smallest width of the flight.

In addition, the width of the stairs is not defined.

Where did you get that 1.2 m dimension from? If that is correct, then most new houses will not conform

Sponsored Links
^woody^ said:
The length and width of a landing is not defined, but it must be at least as long and wide as the smallest width of the flight.

In addition, the width of the stairs is not defined.

Where did you get that 1.2 m dimension from? If that is correct, then most new houses will not conform

:eek: Well you learn something every day!

The dimensions in my post above are a direct quote from the Scottish technical documents/building regs. Clear and unambiguous, sizes for everything.

I assumed, wrongly, the regs in your area would be similar but they are not.

Having looked at Approved Document K there are no dimensions, but they do refer you to Document B on fire safety.
So Document B has all the answers? No it doesn't, no sizes mentioned there either. Very unsatisfactory IMHO.

So as far as I can see the landing should be as Woody says. So make the stairs as narrow as you need the landing length to be, if you see what I mean :)

Well the stair treads are 70cm wide so it seems 70cm wil be my minimum landing depth.

Actually - the tread board is 70 but the total stair width is more like 85.. am I splitting hairs? :)

Where did this stair tread rule come from please?

Do I need to let building regs know if I do this work? Basically knocking out half a small stud wall and moving it back.

Rgds, Scott.

The stair tread guidance is from the Approved Document (Part K).

But bear in mind that the Approved Documents are not the only way to achieve compliance - just one suggested way.

In any case, I don't think your proposed work would require an application for approval, but you may want to confirm with your local council first

But consider that the door is likely to be where it is to conform to the regs when the conversion was done. In addition, the whole idea of this is that a person is either not knocked off the [small] landing when someone opens the loft door, or otherwise steps back when on the [small] landing.

If you are confident of the safety aspect, then go for it. Another possible thing to do is consider if the handrail is sufficinet at the top of the flight, and extend if necessary to allow it to be more easily grabbed if needed

Scotster, if you need any of the documents for reference put you e-mail address in your profile and I can send them

Thanks for all the help.

One reason the landing is so long is that there is actually a door on the right wall that leads to the onsuite. I have no idea why they put it there when it would have made more sense to have it coming direct from the bedroom (which is what I will do). You of course cant comment on this unless you have google sketchup. Full three D models can be found in this download zip:

http://www.team-banana-racing.com/for_gazza_19_feb.zip

:cool:

Please do send me the docs at scotster(that symbol)team-banana-racing.com

Rgds, Scott

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back