Mira 88 no cold water feed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all. We have a Mira 88 shower which is around 10 years old, fitted when our house was built. At the moment there is hot water only. When the dial is turned towards the cold water setting the flow stops completely. I'm guessing this has been caused by limescale in the pipes.
Any suggestions as to how I can solve this or do I need to remove the tiles and change mixer unit completely?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is a basic service kit available for the 88. Could be worth stripping out and checking/cleaning first

andy_roo said:
Evening all. We have a Mira 88 shower which is around 10 years old, fitted when our house was built. At the moment there is hot water only. When the dial is turned towards the cold water setting the flow stops completely. I'm guessing this has been caused by limescale in the pipes.
Any suggestions as to how I can solve this or do I need to remove the tiles and change mixer unit completely?

Thanks

you need to take it to bits and clean the temperature control assembly and locating quadrant, they are scaled up.

if you send me an email I have the manual.

Thanks for your responses fellas. Have ordered and received the service kit from Mira as suggested and started to take the shower to bits today to service.

Have managed to get as far as the cover assembly (Mira part 920.30) and this over the years has "welded" with limescale to the housing it screws in to. I need to undo this in order to get at the flow spindle & temperature control assembly.There's no way I can undo it to replace the old flow spindle!! Any sugestions?

Thanks

PS Doitall - where did you get hold of the manual you said you had please, I think I'll invest in a copy!

Sponsored Links
Just reading back over op. have you checked to make sure that there is actual cold water being supplied to Mira? It doesn't have a seperate cold feed tank in loft that has run dry with ball valve stuck up or something :confused:

andy_roo said:
Have managed to get as far as the cover assembly (Mira part 920.30) and this over the years has "welded" with limescale to the housing it screws in to.
Yeah, these can be tough. There are times when I've had to remove the valve from the wall and put it in a vice. Applying heat can make a difference, but you definitely need to get the valve off for that.

I put mine in a plastic tub of descaler overnight. The internal brass went red on the surface as it lost some zinc, but this cleaned up after with a green scourer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back