Mira 88 (old style) exposed shower valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

The other day, my Mira 88 Exposed shower valve got stuck open i.e the knob no longer turns anti-clockwise to stop the water flow. I've managed to get the shower valve off the wall and have seen that there is a Mira 88 service pack that should allow me to renew the shower:

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/mira-88-spares-service-pack-3987-8781

The only thing is that I cannot for the life of me work out how to open the shower valve to get to the insides. Some stuff I have read online says you have to get the temperature knob off but I dont know how (Ive tried pulling it with a pair of pliers to no avail). Any ideas?

The shower valve is as the image below:
//www.diynot.com/network/dilpz213/albums/

Any help much appreciated.

Dilpz213

Sponsored Links
Prise temp control knob off.
Remove circlip and remove flow knob.
Undo large brass inner nut.
Strip ,clean ,replace seals,lubricate and reassemble.

Simples!!

I don't like saying it but Anti-clockwise turns the water on not off.

LOL - wish anti-clockwise was the problem but it doesnt move in any direction. What would you guys suggest it is prised off with (screwdriver?)

Sponsored Links
Yes, should come off with screwdriver type thing. It is just a push fit.

Ahhh Mira 88 one of the best valves ever made IMHO all the advice you've been given is ok you'll have no trouble with it just give it plenty of petroleum jelly and it won't need touching for years

Hi Guys,

Over 18 months on and I'm back :) The Mira 88 shower valve has gone again and has stuck open. Last time, I bought the service kit for it but couldnt work out how to undo the big brass nut behind the metal flow control knob. Luckily, a soak in some white vinegar got rid of the limescale in it and it started turning again.

This time, I want to fix it properly with the service kit so I'm back to square one with this big nut behind the metal flow control knob. Anyone got any ideas as to what I can use to undo it?

post an email address and I'll scan the service manual over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back