Replace Mira 88?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This Mira 88 was installed about 30 years ago, I replaced the seals with the service kit but it still drips at the hose outlet when the hose is removed.
I emailed Mira whose response was as below.

I cleaned the piston seatings with wire wool and there is a small amount of bubbling in two places on the hot piston face as Mira talks about.

I am after a second opinion as to whether there is any way to save this valve?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are unable to shut your Mira 88 off fully and therefore have a continual drip from the outlet – and if the seals contained in the Mira 88 Service Pack have been replaced but the problem persists – you should check the piston seatings of the main body for debris as this will prevent the pistons from closing fully.

On the understanding that the piston seatings are unobstructed we can only assume the main body of the Mira 88 in question has become pitted. If so the piston seatings and / or the outlet area of the main body will appear ‘bubbled’ and will look similar to the inside of an Aero chocolate bar. If this is the case I’m afraid there is no way around the problem as the main body of the Mira 88 is now an obsolete component with no remaining stock of spares available.

Sponsored Links
If you have replaced the seals and it is still laking and pistin ring is pitted i think you arefighting a losing battle. I dont think you can get a replacement cartridge for an 88. Anyway...30 years is a superb lifespan for a shower!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back