Mira Excel Mk.2 (96-03) leaks behind wall, when shower is on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I really need some help to stop a long-term leak from my Mira Excel Mk.2 shower.

It leaks behind the wall, spraying water in the gap between the plaster board and wall, but only when the shower is used. The water has pooled on the floorboards under and behind the tray and rotted the skirting board by the side of the tray, creating a large gap that I now use to stuff a towel behind the wall to soak up as much water as possible - but not enough.

No water leaks are visible from the 'bathroom' side, although the main body of the shower unit has been additionally sealed to the shower tiles with silicone sealant, so I don't know if water would also spray out into the shower cubicle, if the sealant wasn't there. The water that leaks is quite warmish, but I can't tell whether it's purely from the hot water side (cooled by the time I wring out the towel) or a mix of hot and cold.

The pipework is concealed.
No problem with turning shower on or off, or varying the volume of water.
Power/pressure is fine.
Temp range - cold to very hot - is fine.

Do I need a new cartridge assembly or can I hopefully get away with some new seals?

Thanks.

MiraExcelMk21996-2003.jpg

Picture from showerdoc.com and shower-spares.co.uk.

MiraExcel1996-2003FittedShower.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
I know it sounds like I don't need as much help as others, but I do.

I'm a regular DIYer and still have the instruction manual, so I can replace what needs to be replaced, but I don't want to try every kind of fix until I find the right one.

I'd love some professional advice.

Thanks.

If it only leaks when the shower is on its got to be down to the tiling unless its constant

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back