MIRA EXCEL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Once every 3 showers, once we turn it off, water still continues to trickle down. I have noticed that moving the knob to cold, actually stops it..Any ideas on how to fix this ?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
AGAS, thanks for your answer... the water keep trickling from the showerhead.. unfortunately it can start after people have left the shower, and most people forget to turn the know to cold, so that is why I am looking for a solution

Sponsored Links
with age, I've found they accumulate limescale which prevents the control moving freely and fully, and also wear, so the seals don't.

If you feel handy, you can take it apart and put it in a bucket of descaler to remove the limescale, and reassemble using new seals (a kit is available) and plumbers' white silicone grease. You need to descale the moving parts and polish them up with a green scourer or a toothbrush and use white grease so they slide smoothly on the seals.

Sometimes, if it leaks e.g. round a gland or spindle, you can wind PTFE tape round the spindle before inserting it into its gland, and it may stop water weeping out while you order new seals. It's enough to take up slight wear. The plumbers will pretend I said "put tape on the threads of compression joints," but I didn't.

You can get a box of assorted "O" rings which will quite often include a size that fits most of the parts.

Or you could just order a replacement shower mixer. If you are going to the trouble of an overhaul you can pick up used ones on ebay for next to nothing. You have to assume a used one needs overhaul until proved otherwise, but you can do it in advance and carry out the swap quickly at a convenient time.

I hate mixers that are built into the wall. Exposed mixers are easy to take off for a swap or repair.

MIRA service packs
https://www.mirashowers.co.uk/parts-accessories/shower-spare-parts/

Example other sources
https://www.showerspares.com/search/mira_excel_1996-2003_excel/
includes good exploded diagram

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back