Mira Flight Level 1800 x 800 Tray Bedding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please explain to me why fitting the tray in the description above is not recommended using "dabs" of adhesive, rather than a solid bed of mortar when the tray can also be fitted on legs which only have about a 2" diameter contact patch over 16 areas of the tray ?

Surely dabs of adhesive would end up giving a wider contact point ?

The tray is getting fitted to a concrete floor btw if that helps.

I'm thinking I might get someone in to do this for me coz the more I think about it, the less I fancy DIY'ing it - lol,

TIA

Sponsored Links
I've wondered that- the theory might be that the dabs will spread when you drop the tray in and leave parts unsupported.
Don't use the legs if you can possibly avoid them- having a 4" step up into the shower is carp.
Best way to do it I've found is use glass suction grips so you can drop the thing flat- a tray that size you'll find a friend useful as well :)

Having a closer look at the tray, it appears that an area about 90mm in from all four edges (where I'm guessing the legs would fit) is set higher up than the rest of the base, by about 8mm and there is a thin lip at the very edges. Also, the area where the waste seals to is also slightly lower than the rest of the base so unless the s/c mix is fairly loose, I could see the edges of the tray not even settling on the s/c !

I've tried contacting Mira tech help but have not had any replies at all unfortunately, so I think I'm just gonna dot and dab it anyway (loads of dabs) and use some decent quality powdered Tile Adhesive.

Sponsored Links
The Mira Flight MI states that it can be installed using a mortar bed or silicone. Did one not so long ago using a silicone adhesive.

Thanks for the reply Madrab. I did see that the MI states Silicon or Mortar. I take it your Flight Level tray was totally flat across the base then with you using Silicon ? If I tried to use silicon on mine, there would prolly be 30% or more of it that would have no support at all ! Seeing as I'm installing it on a concrete floor, I was going to use the silicon method myself until I noticed the tray base was so irregular. Somebody on that thread you referenced mentions Skill Builder on Youtube and I did see Roger Bisby on one video waxing lyrical about the merits of Mira trays and how the one he was using was totally flat across the base ! Obviously Mira didn't see that when they fabricated my Flight Level :rolleyes:.

Does it make any difference that I'm fitting mine to a concrete floor ? Surely there's no worries about that flexing over time - lol.

Most of the Mira Flight trays I've seen are all the same ridged and moulded shape underneath. Though I am sure there are differences as I haven't fitted that many of that type.

When it comes to concrete though, it would need to be smooth, dust free and totally flat before I would think about using silicone. A flexible adhesive may be more suitable in that situation.

Your argument about the support when it's on riser legs is valid and really dictates how much support and where, the tray actually requires. The trays are stone resin therefore the construction should be inherently strong anyway.

20mm of good tile adhesive all over.
The weight of the tray will push the lower parts deeper in the adhesive.
Use a primer on concrete like bal apd or sbr or the all in one they do now.

20mm of good tile adhesive all over.
The weight of the tray will push the lower parts deeper in the adhesive.
Use a primer on concrete like bal apd or sbr or the all in one they do now.

Sorry Johnny, I didn't receive an email notification so I missed your post. Thanks for the heads-up as I'd completely forgot about asking whether the concrete slab would require priming (y)

Most of the Mira Flight trays I've seen are all the same ridged and moulded shape underneath. Though I am sure there are differences as I haven't fitted that many of that type.

Cheers Madrab, seeing as Mira still haven't replied to me yet, it's nice to know that I've not bought a lemon :D

When it comes to concrete though, it would need to be smooth, dust free and totally flat before I would think about using silicone. A flexible adhesive may be more suitable in that situation.

Exactly my thoughts as well Madrab as I thought silicone wouldn't really provide any support to the areas of the base of the tray that weren't actually touching the floor.

Your argument about the support when it's on riser legs is valid and really dictates how much support and where, the tray actually requires. The trays are stone resin therefore the construction should be inherently strong anyway.

I had it laid in position today so I could get the waste positioned correctly and there is a definite bow in the base, as well as the outer 90mm or so of the edges probably about 10mm clear of the floor, even though the tray is plumb and level on the top edges :confused:. I even tried pouring some water on it and it drained correctly from all the top area. There does appear to be a fair bit of "give" in the tray as well (I guess to stop it being too brittle and snapping if there's a small amount of movement ?) I think I'm gonna try a combination of ribbons along the outer edges and dabs in the centre of the tray of tiling adhesive for fixing and hope for the best :).

I've used Mapei Keraquick for the tilebacker boards and it has worked great, do you guys reckon that will be OK for the tray ?

Thanks again fellas, much appreciated.

Hi again guys. Sorry not to post an update, I got completely side-tracked with other jobs and forgot to let you know how I got on. :oops:

Anyway, Mira eventually got back to me and confirmed that a cement bed would have to be used otherwise the guarantee would be void.

I ended-up bodging a pulley system to hold the tray off the floor by about 3' while I laid the sand/cement bed. Then, with the help of our lass I lowered it straight down onto the bed so there would be no need for any sliding around and risking moving the bed about too much, creating troughs and peaks.

Managed to get it level without too much difficulty and the waste lined up perfectly (so a first for my measuring - lol).

Thanks for all the assistance, it really did help. (y)

Results:-

Attachments

• 20220422_174718.jpg
    20220422_174718.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 56

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back