Mira Platinum pumped remote shower on a pressurised system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys, what would be the implications of using a Mira Platinum pumped digital shower on a high pressure system.

Would it be ok to simply crank down the flow from the incoming hot and cold.

Sponsored Links
Nope, the pump is designed to have an unrestricted feed from the hot and cold supplies rather than a supply pushed to the pump, which would be the case. Max supply pressure would 1 bar and the mains invariably would be higher than that unless run through a Pressure Reducing Valve (PRV). Then there would be a battle between the flow of the mains and the draw of the pump.

I wouldn't recommend it ..... that being said if you have an old one that you don't mind breaking then you could play around with different setups and see if it works but I would be ready for something bursting.

Thanks Madrab, your thinking what I am thinking. The reason I’m looking at this is firstly it’s for me so no client to worry about and secondly I can get a new pumped unit for £150 as opposed to £700
I must admit that when I’ve installed a pumped mixer to low pressure system I’ve always choked down the mains pressure input for the cold feed and run the hot feed from the low pressure tank….maybe through luck I’ve never had a problem.

I've run a pumped shower on mains pressure before when I had my DHW/CH system changed over. Not a Mira Platinum, although funnily enough it was a mains pressure Mira Platinum I was putting in, in the other bathroom.

Was only intended to be very temporary but in the end it was there for well over 6 months with daily use. No problems.

Sponsored Links
T&B, I thought someone like me (a tight arse) would have tried so thanks for that…..I am so tempted to give it go.

It wasn't because I'm a tight arse. I mean I am a tight arse but that wasn't the reason :LOL:

edit: To be clear - I wouldn't have wanted to leave it like that indefinitely, just saying as a short/medium term situation it wasn't a problem

edit: Also my mains pressure might be a lot lower than yours!

It wasn't because I'm a tight arse. I mean I am a tight arse but that wasn't the reason :LOL:

edit: To be clear - I wouldn't have wanted to leave it like that indefinitely, just saying as a short/medium term situation it wasn't a problem

edit: Also my mains pressure might be a lot lower than yours!
Think mine is circa 3bar but could easily choke it down

What do you mean by 'choke it down'?

As madrab pointed out - flow and pressure are 2 different (but related) things.
Put a 1 bar prv on. I’m thinking there must be someway of reducing flow and pressure to a level that isn’t going to cause a major problem.

Mira spec for the pumped version is Max Maintained head 1 bar and max static head of 10 bar……..

You don't want to reduce flow. Flow is not a problem - you can never have too much flow capacity, only too little.

You can have too much pressure though. 1 bar will definitely be fine.

Mira spec for the pumped version is Max Maintained head 1 bar and max static head of 10 bar……..
'Fraid not - it's specc'd @ max 10m head for both static and constant, that equates to 1 bar for each with a nominally balanced supply. Chances are it may be ok, but I wouldn't ever play around with something that had the potential to cause a fair amount of water damage.

'Fraid not - it's specc'd @ max 10m head for both static and constant, that equates to 1 bar for each with a nominally balanced supply. Chances are it may be ok, but I wouldn't ever play around with something that had the potential to cause a fair amount of water damage.
6A81023A-F9A2-4F9D-BE30-40E2EAFFC410.png

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back