mira sport shower 8.5kw, low pressure light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This shower was fitted when we moved in, its probably circa mid 90's though not sure. It no longer works and im not sure if spares available.

As its old, am thinking about replacement - that cable looks pretty beefy, how can i identify if its 6mm or 10mm?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
3.14 X radius squared will give you the CSA. That looks like 6mm CSA to me.

Ok thanks was thinking 6mm as 10 is chunkier.. Consumer unit is approx 3m away in a straight line, cables no longer than 5m. Can i go higher than 8.5kw or is that the max? This is a spare bathroom btw, not been used in over a year but i want to do up main bathroom.

Cheers.

How is the cable run? Is it buried in plaster up the wall then across the ceiling? Is it bunched with other cables? Any contact with thermal insulation?

Sponsored Links
Its a 32 amp MCB, cable is running loose single for most of its length then inside a stud wall for last couple of metres, shouldnt be much insulation. Dont want to push or test any limits here either....

A 32A MCB will limit you to a 7kW shower - so the shower there now was installed wrongly.

Its a 32 amp MCB, cable is running loose single for most of its length then inside a stud wall for last couple of metres, shouldnt be much insulation. Dont want to push or test any limits here either....

Yes that MCB is under rated and therefore operating on the overload curve. If you ran the shower for long enough the MCB would trip I would not increase the KW rating of the shower but I would replace the 32amp MCB with a 40amp MCB which will still protect the cable but allow the MCB to operate in the correct mode.

Ok thanks wveryone. I will investigate how easy it is to repair current unit.

Will also get more appropriate mcb, hope i can get on for my CU.

Out of interest can a 6mm cable take a higher rated shower?

What determines max then? I may get a spark to quote replacing with a 10mm cable. Only thing is not having rcd it might open up a whole rabbit hole of changes needed...

What determines max then? I may get a spark to quote replacing with a 10mm cable. Only thing is not having rcd it might open up a whole rabbit hole of changes needed...

The current carrying capacity of the cable (with the installation method factored) and rating of MCB will determine the maximum KW rating of the shower. 10.8KW (as I understand it) is the highest KW rating shower available in the UK. If you replaced the cable 6 > 10 then you would be obliged (and probably wise) to fit an RCD. Keep in mind that the RCD does not have to go in the consumer unit but if it does not then it raises consideration that any part of a new circuit that is not buried deeper than 50mm and not in earthed conduit should be RCD protected.

Do you not have gas? Can you not fit a nice mixer shower?

Thanks

Yeah have gas and a mixer in the main bathroom - this is a second bathroom thats not used all that much, but seeing as I need to redecorate the main bathroom i need to get the shower back into service. Sounds like the easiest and cheapest approach is just to fit a new pilot valve.

Thanks again everyone for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back