mirror gloss finish from spray paint?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a piece of wooden furniture with an almost glass like finish, was definitely painted, unfortunately has a gouge out of the very center.

I've taken it back almost to the wood now and removed the damage (filling / blending it didn't work).

I wondered how near the original finish i could get with spray cans, and if there was any specific technique to get the best shine?
e.g. rub back so many times apply x amount of coats of laquer...
I had thought of using a car product that does a similar effect for the car.... not sure if that would work.

unfortunately I don't have a compressor and would like to avoid using one, the local spray shop wont take on any work any time soon, and advised me that it would be costly.

I would call it a bad job and look to replace as it does really need to be that sort of glassy finish, but it has high sentimental value to the girlfriend and does suit the room well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, i have next week off and will have to give it a go then, loosing brownie points rapidy for rubbing it down.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a factory finish to me..youll never replicate that using brushes rollers or spray cans yourself..if the piece of furniture is important to you then id suggest taking it to your local garage and ask them to spray it for you

yes that was what i was thinking, as mentioned i have tried to get the garage to do it.

My thinking was they couldnt match what i wanted.

I realise that i will not be able to get it perfect but how close could i get? if it would juct look like a gloss paint then i wont bother, but if i can get it relective then it still will be worthwhile

They will get a better finish than you will...or me come to think of it.

Sponsored Links
i don't doubt that, what i meant was they wouldnt be able to get it to the finish i ideally wanted it to eventually look like. Which wasnt actually what i asked them.

not that i myself would be able to with a spray can.

On speaking to the shop they flatly refused to look at it and the way they did it made me think either that a. he didnt want my 'small-time' work, or possibly b. that as he couldnt restore it to the level i was hoping for.

Either way i discounted a professional job.

Yes this is important, but more that we can still have it in the house and use it, then having the shine being exactly to the original refractive index.

So that leads me back to my original question how much of gloss can i get with spray cans - will it look better then out of the can gloss. rather than how can i get the original finish back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back