missing Actuator valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am an electrician
I have a job where they have 4 zones of heating using 4 thermostats
on the manifold there are 7 ways grouped into 4 zones but only 3 of the zones have Actuators on them
the largest zone has no actuators so it's hot all the time the boiler/pump runs
the largest room is way to hot 30+deg all the time
the office is 5 years old & I am guessing it has always been like this.
The plumber on-site does not want to know & says he cant work with a home automation system controlling the heating ( NikoBus )
all thermostats are controlling there zones correctly with the 4th thermostat firing the boiler & pump only
Is this correct ( no Actuators on largest zone ) ?
Thank you
Paul

Sponsored Links
So the 4th stat fires the boiler and pump heating the largest area with no thermostat? Did I read that right?

Hi
sorry all 4 thermostats fire the boiler and the internal pump
each thermostat also fires it's own zone's actuator, except for zone 4 which has no actuators fitted to the manifold.

Sponsored Links
As I'm reading it 7 pipes are leading to the manifold, at a guess 3 are flow to the circuits and there are four returns, which means one circuit ( the largest area) has been combined? Or am I taking balls?

14 pipes all together ( on a 8 way manifold )
7 in 7 out
zone 1 is single valve
zone 2 is single valve
zone 3 is 2 valve's wired together
zone 4 is 3 ways with no valves fitted ( they have caps on them and they allow hot water to flow all the time

Try operating the thermostat for the circuit without an actuator and see if it operates any of the others?

Sorry I got myself confused, we are talking underfloor heating?

yes under floor heating
when you activate thermostat for zone 4 no actuators liven up, just boiler and pump

I have tested the other 3 zones individually, and only the correct actuators open for them & boiler/pump

Isn't it obvious?? some of the thermic actuators have failed and have simply been removed!! you will need to obtain some new actuators to replace the missing ones! so Simple! :eek:

I`ll get mine.. missed the part when he said they were capped off... :oops: Been reading it fer yonks scratching me head. Penny just dropped.

I confused myself as well :oops:
All I was worried about was if I add zone 4 actuators I might damage the pump in the boiler, like you do if you add a TRV to every radiator in the house. the red plastic caps in the place of the actuators look very old ( but I guess they could be out of his toolbox )
sorry for the confusion guys im only an electrician and I don't know the names of things ( im just trying to help 25 hot office workers to cool down )
Paul

You clearly do not understand how a UFH controller operates, each thermostat operates a Zone input, which in turn supplies one or more thermic actuators connected to that particular zone, in addition a pump relay is energised when any of the stats call, and will switch off when the last stat is satisfied ;)

thanks for you help guys :D
I don't even know where the UFH controller is :oops:
I will leave it for the plumber to work out
Then I think I need to go back to college
Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back