Missing backbox threaded tag

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
One of my socket backboxes (plaster box) has the threaded tag missing so i cant screw one side of it back to the wall.....Changing the backbox isnt an option as its been tiled in, and i dont want to damage any tiles.....have any of you learned chaps got any tips or tricks to get round it.....

Sponsored Links
I normally pinch one from another box and fit that.

If for some reason you cannot do this then mt next trick is to drill a 3mm in the back of the box and use the threading tool t thread it then use a long screw.

Martin

Sponsored Links
And if neither of those methods work, drill through the back of the box and fit a 60mm+ No6 domed head wood screw and plastic plug.

60mm? Could you show me a pic, I am unfamiliar with this method and would like to add it to my arsenal of get out of jail methods. Do you mean a mirror screw?

Martin

a long 3.5mm box screw will thread ( just about ) into a yellow wall plug if it's a good make with lots of meat in it ( not the cheap "tri-plug" crap that they sell at some wholesalers.. )

My bad.. :oops:

I only just realised we are discussing plaster board back box, not metal ones.

Martin

Sorry if i have mislead you chaps, I call it a plaster box, But meant to say its a metal back box as in a sunken into the wall/plaster. took holmsaws advice and drilled through the box and used a yellow plug and a long screw.....sorted, CHEERS CHAPS :D

Does that work, depending on what side of socket, a normal screw usually sticks out as well as looking cack and the plug will not fit flush.
can you post a pic of it.

Does that work, depending on what side of socket, a normal screw usually sticks out as well as looking cack and the plug will not fit flush.
can you post a pic of it.

Rocky it's a standard 3.5mm face plate screw which is over length, say 50mm in a 35mm box. The plug will take about 10mm of screw taking in a modest 5mm socket face depth.

The 10mm is enough to bite inside the yellow plg and thus allow the socket or fitting to fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back