Missing boiler gasket leak smells of gas (edited)

Sponsored Links
If it was carbon monoxide he wouldn't have smelt it as it is odourless.
Hence the requiremnt for a detector.

Sponsored Links
You said in post #13 that Cadent didn't detect a leak. Are you sure its gas you can smell?
Cadent came twice. I'm probably not being very clear. I few months ago they didn't detect anything, at a time the boiler was missing the gasket. When they came a couple of days ago after I smelt gas this time they did, which led to the discovery of the missing gasket when my landlady's company checked it.

If it was carbon monoxide he wouldn't have smelt it as it is odourless.
Hence the requiremnt for a detector.
Do the detectors they use test for both gas and carbon monoxide do you know?

I honestly don't know what types of gases/fumes their detectors detect.

Having spoken to the boiler company I finally have the full picture. It was a burner gasket despite them saying on the day an eletrode gasket.

The boiler is a powermax range 140. The gas leak was from the electrode and they have confirmed it was when looking at this they discovered there was no burner gasket, and hasn't been for years. It has passed every yearly service and gas safety check for the last few years despite unknowingly having no gasket. I can't see how this is possible but sounds like it has been safe in the past despite the missing gasket as no carbon monoxide or gas leaks were detected during those service visits. Does this sound right. Thank you for any input, I am very worried as have been living here for many years.

Nope they only detect flammable gasses , not products of combustion
not strictly right ian they use a bascombe detector now that at same time as detecting methane also register CO , O2... Dont do ratios or C02

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back