Missing front door lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an old victorian terrace where the front door has been replaced with PVC. The stone lintel in the front skin of the wall is in place, however all the windows etc have timber internal lintels.

At the front door I have removed some plaster and discovered there is no internal lintel and it looks like someone may have removed one when putting the door in. The door now sits high enough that the same thickness of timber couldn't go in without removing the next row of bricks above.

The stairs run down to the door so there is a single skin load bearing wall (bricks turned onto their bottom face so as thin as possible) carrying the first floor joist into the wall above the door and the weight of a similar single skin wall above.

The wall below the joist appears to have compressed a bit (which wouldn't be surprising) as the the brick I am thinking the joist should be sitting is on was hanging in thin air. I slapped a little timber batton in there and a couple of off cuts of brick to stop the wall above falling in any more but would assume I should now have some kind of lintel installed or could I be missing something?

Can someone suggest what type of lintel might be suitable considering it will need to be slimmer than a standard bricks thickness? Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back