Missing something obvious... 610 X 1010mm windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm researching materials for a future extension and I'm looking at standard sized windows.

Considering a house brick size is 215mm in length with 10mm joints I'm struggling to understand how a 610 X 1010mm is available as a standard size from places such as Wickes.

How is this width an option within cutting up bricks?

Assuming a 5mm gap shouldn't this window be 675mm? (5 + 215 + 10 + 215 + 10 + 215 + 5)

I'm hoping it's something I'm missing, for example is this size the size of the glass only? If so, I'm surprised they aren't listing the entire casement measurements too.

Sponsored Links
Just don't even think about buying a window from wickes or b&q which makes the rest of your post academic

You'll get a better quality made to measure window from any local manufacturer as supply only than you ever will from the sheds, probably cheaper too

Last edited:
I'm researching materials for a future extension and I'm looking at standard sized windows.

Considering a house brick size is 215mm in length with 10mm joints I'm struggling to understand how a 610 X 1010mm is available as a standard size from places such as Wickes.

How is this width an option within cutting up bricks?

Assuming a 5mm gap shouldn't this window be 675mm? (5 + 215 + 10 + 215 + 10 + 215 + 5)

I'm hoping it's something I'm missing, for example is this size the size of the glass only? If so, I'm surprised they aren't listing the entire casement measurements too.

Standard window sizes are supposedly made to suit a 300mm brick, something to do with an EU directive.

But I would listen to Cranks advice -pay a little more and get a quality window brand: kommerling, decurninck, rehau etc.
Then you can order any size you want.

Thanks for your replies. Oh yes, I'm just searching materials and it's likely I wouldn't be getting these from the local DIY chains.

So I'm not going mad? I had hoped I was missing something obvious. But as they are made for different brick sizes this makes sense and it's not necessarily me going mad but I haven't been able to find 300mm facing bricks. And it doesn't make sense that wickes would sell these sizes but only 215mm bricks. If these sizes are aimed at the replacement market, rather than self builds and extensions, I'm not sure many houses in this country are using those brick sizes. Something doesn't seem to add up, hmm.

Any more details would be interesting but thanks for the replies all the same. Much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. Oh yes, I'm just searching materials and it's likely I wouldn't be getting these from the local DIY chains.

So I'm not going mad? I had hoped I was missing something obvious. But as they are made for different brick sizes this makes sense and it's not necessarily me going mad but I haven't been able to find 300mm facing bricks. And it doesn't make sense that wickes would sell these sizes but only 215mm bricks. If these sizes are aimed at the replacement market, rather than self builds and extensions, I'm not sure many houses in this country are using those brick sizes. Something doesn't seem to add up, hmm.

Any more details would be interesting but thanks for the replies all the same. Much appreciated.

99% of replacement market is bespoke sizes, no window company would even bother checking to see if they coukd fit standards.

Im not sure the EU regs thing is true, many old windows like Boulton and Paul ones were 630mm, 915mm 1210mm wide.

Even in new builds, its not important to make window widths to suit brick sizes because window openings would rarely suit that option.

Thanks Notch,

Would it be fair to say that standard window sizes aren't really used the in the building industry in a big way then? It's all bespoke, even in new builds?

I'm assuming this may be because window openings will have slight variations due to relatively large tolerances of mortar joints and perhaps even bricks. And due to the quick fabrication of PVC windows it's very easy to order to size so we can get a nice snug fit in the window frames and avoid gaps that are too large or small.

Thanks Notch,

Would it be fair to say that standard window sizes aren't really used the in the building industry in a big way then? It's all bespoke, even in new builds?

I'm assuming this may be because window openings will have slight variations due to relatively large tolerances of mortar joints and perhaps even bricks. And due to the quick fabrication of PVC windows it's very easy to order to size so we can get a nice snug fit in the window frames and avoid gaps that are too large or small.

Yes, I used to run a joinery business, I made windows and ordered in upvc for jobs. Ive never seen anybody use standard sizes.
Upvc windows are dirt cheap anyway, so just order the size you need.

Its actually because there are millions of permutations that windows are nearly always made to order.

Metric brick gauge should dictate height pretty well, but brickwork is not set out for whole brick lengths, so a brickie wont really care what width an opening is.

I would recommend ordering your windows once the opening is formed -much much safer.
Just be careful, there are loads of window options that can trip you up, make sure you order the right thing!

Thank you Notch for clearing this up, I'll take this advice on board (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back