What size door do I need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Exterior doors really baffle me. So many places online don't specify if they are pre-hung/include frame or not, so when it asks me "what size" do I put in door size or brick to brick opening size?

Basically the narrowest part of my brick to brick opening is 895mm. Top to bottom it's 2105mm.

So if I allow 30mm for a cill/sill then 10mm all round, does that leave me looking for an 885mm x 2065 door & frame?

Looking around at places like Wickes at off the shelf doors they seem to be 2085mm tall (pretty much universally) and either 840 or 880mm wide. 880mm width would be ok as I could pack it out a little more, but 2085 onoly leaves 20mm for cill, which isn't enough for standard cills, is it?

We only have a standard 1948 semi so it shouldn't be that odd an opening size I'd have thought?

Confused - would appreciate any advice from you who know about these things please!

Sponsored Links
I assume your planning on a PVC door?

Try going to some local double glazing company's for some supply only prices if your planning to fit it yourself. Take along a print out of the door you like from wicks website and show them the price.

They will be able to get you a made to measure door that is much better quality than the Wick's stuff and they will most likely be able to match (near enough) the price.

Just check with them 1st on the height before you confirm an order as usually when ordering from a double glazing company the cill will be included in the overall height.

Also check your plaster to plaster and floor to head measurements on the inside and compare them to your external measurements, The hinges are normally fitted about 10mm from the edge of the frame so you may need to reduce the size and have an addon to prevent the hinge being behind the plaster. Also be aware of skirting boards, The plaster thickness on the head of the door and the floor level, All things that could cause problems with the door opening.

You may be able to get the company to come and measure it for you too for a small fee then its on their heads if there is a mistake.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back