How to measure for a new upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
New to the forums and looking for advice on how to measure for a Upvc door. I have been looking at Just doors Uk for a new back door and I understand that you need to measure the height at top, middle and bottom and the same with the width and deduct 10mm off the total size to allow for squaring the frame.

My question is what size to submit? If my brick to brick height is 2080mm and deduct 10mm so now is 2070mm. Do I deduct a further 30mm to allow for a cill (2040mm) and submit my height as 2040mm OR do I submit 2070mm and when I pick a cill then they will manufacture the frame as 2040mm?

I emailed the company for advice
"
Hi,
If your brick to brick height is 2080mm we would recommend taking 10mm off making the height now 2070mm.
You would then need to input the height of 2070mm including the height of the cill."

Its the "including the height of the cill" thats confusing me

Thanks

Sponsored Links
on reading the reply, I would assume that the height of the cill is incorporated into the overall height, meaning [as I see it???] ignore the cill height.

To be crystal clear give the company a call or? if they have a chat function on their web site? use that??

Ken.

on reading the reply, I would assume that the height of the cill is incorporated into the overall height, meaning [as I see it???] ignore the cill height.

To be crystal clear give the company a call or? if they have a chat function on their web site? use that??

Ken.
Thanks Ken for the advice. Their configurator also has this when you click information icon
  • Sizes stated should be the overall frame size including any cill and frame extensions (if required).
  • All dimensions to be supplied in Metric.
  • All frame styles are viewed from outside.
  • We do not make any fitting allowances on the sizes you provide. The size you state will be the size we manufacture.
I understand they won't want to be quoted wrongly so are careful of their reply but if they said something like " if your opening is 2070mm then we will incorporate a cill to fit the frame size of an opening of 2070mm."

Notascoobie

Sizes always include the cill, your overall 'tight' size is 2080, deduct 10mm = 2070 for the height of the door frame, that 2070 includes a 30mm cill so the frame will be manufactured to be 2040, add the cill to it makes it 2070 which is the size you want after your 10mm deduction.

One other vitally important thing that you haven't mentioned is whether they are asking you about any 'add ons' or 'frame extenders' to the width? Before you order please confirm

Sponsored Links
I've just had a look - yes they are! Same principle as the cill only you have a choice of 10, 20 or 50mm thickness

Have you also worked out the projection of the cill?

Hi
and thanks for the advice. As for the cill I think it is 150mm wide but all are 30mm high.

Thanks again more clear now and reassured

Last edited by a moderator:
If your door opens in and the hinges will be against a plastered wall it will 9/10 need an add on or frame extender to the hinge side to bring the hinges away from the wall, too many times I've seen hinges sunk into the plaster because someone surveyed it wrong, wouldn't say measured because the overall width was correct but in that width they should have included say a 20mm add on, otherwise you'll get this if the plaster is really thick

hinge-clearance.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back