sizing upvc frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to rder new upvc windows for my house and will be installing myself, i have measured the widths and heights of the openings but cannot remember how much to deduct for tolerance, is it 10mm for width and 6mm for height or the other way round or neither, thank you :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
if the brickwork allows i like to order my frames as snug as possible, allowing as little as 5mm overall on the width. this is only possible if the masonry is straight and plumb.

6-10mm is fine on the height as the make up underneath can be filled with mortar, foam, silicon etc.

I allow 10mm all around from the tightest point, I measure three times across, top middle, bottom and twice, (if small more if bigger,) up and down. I then measure inside too and cross check sizes, if wildly different I just allow 10-20mm over the size of the plaster line, especially the bathroom, not unknow for the walls to have two layers of tiles!

Watch out for fascia on the up stairs side opening windows, if impeded I allow a add on on top of the frame.

Sponsored Links
What is also important to check the opening is not out of square using a spirit level, if so, then work it out on the smallest measurement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back