Need a new front door... do I have to change the frame too?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's upvc, probably from sometime in the 70s looking at it. The locking mechanism and frame appear to work together so I'm imagining that I need to do the entire frame and door at the same time?

Brick-to-brick the opening is 900mm x 2070mm - is this a pretty standard size or will I be having to get a door & frame made especially?

Sponsored Links
You dont have to but it's unlikely you'll get anything to fit a frame that old so new frame unit & door; suppliers will make to any size. Replacement doors & windows must now have a certificate of compliance. You can get this by using a FENSA registered installer or by notification/inspection by your LABC, a fee is involved & may not be economical for just one door; you will need the compliance certificate when you come to sell. Use small local installer rather than large national company.

Thanks Richard. I had just come across this company: http://www.doorexpress.com that appears to offer the whole shooting match for just under £300 and they say it's easy to fit... would that be ok for me to do or will I fall foul of regulations?

Are they installing? Are they FENSA registered? If not you won’t get a certificate of compliance. If you DIY you won’t get a certificate of compliance unless you notify & pay the LABC fee; no compliance certificate can lead to problems at sale time & not worth the agro is can cause.

You also need compliant multi point locks for insurance purposes of your insurer may not pay.

Sponsored Links
Not wishing to be overly smart here... but how would anyone know if the front door had been there for 1 year or 15 years if I came to sell it? Once it's weathered a bit, it would be hard to tell at a glance when it had been fitted, surely?

It's usually picked on survey; surveyors arn't stupid (well not usually :confused: ) & the approximate age of the unit will be obvious to those who know what to look for; if not there is a date of manufacture on the separator inside the sealed glass unit in most cases :LOL: . Current regulations go back to 2002 (I think) & the onus is on you to prove when it was installed if the surveyor picks it up. Lender’s are now getting very sniffy about advancing a loan on a property that has unauthorised building works; one door is no big deal in the scheme of things but it could cause you problems with a potential buyer at worst probably amounting to a discount on the cost of a new door.

The other thing to consider is that in the event of a break in, your insurer may decline or reduce your claim if an assessor discovers the unit doesn’t have a compliance certificate. Your buyers solicitor will also require you to complete a sellers questionnaire which contains a specific section on building works. It’s unwise to lie on this form & if you subsequently get found out, you leave yourself open to civil proceedings & a claim that could be considerably more than the additional cost of a compliant door; it has happened.

It's your decision at the end of it & you need to consider if it's worth the possible agro; personally I don’t think it is. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back