missing stop cock in street

No-one seems to have asked where the existing stop-cock is actually leaking. :rolleyes:

If it's the gland nut then a gentle :eek: nip up of the nut may be all that is required.

Mind you, Softus' idea is more entertaining. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
To be fair, I think Dan expressed the idea first, although I suspect we both had it at the same moment. ;)

Part of the problem is that some Water Cos will not send anyone for several weeks.

Three Valleys seems VERY unhelpful indeed. They quoted 11 weeks to investigate a complaint of low mains pressure.

Thames Water were very helpful when someone cut a pipe and then broke off their stopcock. The kitchen and bathroom were about 3" deep and TW came out and found the street ST was jammed so they replaced it on the spot at 2000 hrs on a Saturday evening. Full marks to them for that!

Tony

TW seem to have bucked their ideas recently - we had them out within two hours (normal working ones mind) and they replaced a seized stop cock there and then. I was most surprised.

Last time I had called them, it was to an externally mounted lead main under a stilted building tied to the stilts. It had pinholed in the side and had a fine jet of water spraying about 2 or 3 metres. It was months before they isolated the street so that a new stop cock could be fitted under the leak.

Sponsored Links
Yes if you have enough access, and it's only a slow drip.

Hiring an electric freezer, £40 ish, would be better for the blood pressure if it's your first time. Or last, come to that.

just a quick update,stop cock was found by severn trent using a metal detector it was buried under tarmac,plumber tightened up leaking stop valve and did a runner and never returned,not even for a payment,he filled gland with ptfe i think.oh yes and thanks for the advice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back