leak before stop cock/meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I have a leak on the mains water pipe which has been there for a very long time for the damp and rotten wood round the area. The leak is before the stop cock in to the house and before the water meter. I can find no stop valve on the steeet to turn the water off. I have rung severn trent and they are aiming to be here tommorrow(u can hope!). Now my question is how do i establish who would be liable for this work!?, cheers phil

Sponsored Links
Usually water authority responsibility ends at their stop cock in street :cry:

but if its before the water meter, does that not make it waterboards problem (unless of course tyou are inside looking out, in which case its on your side, not theirs

i dont appear to have a stop cock in the street or on my property or at least i cant see it and ive spent ages looking

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
but if its before the water meter, does that not make it waterboards problem
No.
:idea: Inside a property the Water Co are responsible for the meter and "associated fittings". This is quite simply the compression fittings either side of the meter. Stop cock, drain tap and pipework are all householders responsibility.

And if the is no stop cock to my property?, (could it share a neighbours one?

Paulboy said:
And if the is no stop cock to my property?, (could it share a neighbours one?

Could share with a neighbour, may be just inside your garden wall. Could have been buried by BT, Gas board, Electric board, Cable, Highways. Might never have had one installed.

The mains stop tap (MST) isn't actually for domestic use - it is Water Co's for their purposes. It may be used by a householder or 3rd party to protect property from flooding (in emergency) but breakages are usally charged for.

gas4you said:
Usually water authority responsibility ends at their stop cock in street :cry:
Officially it is the highway boundary. Some stopcocks are installed a few meters away from front gates/driveways/walls etc. Some stopcocks are installed in gardens (in which case the tap is Water Co's responsibility but the pipework isn't. For arguments sake they usually adopt the pipe if it is a short length).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back