Mist Coat and Top Coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a smallish room just plastered a few weeks ago so I'm painting it tomorrow night.

I would like to mist coat and do the top layer all tomorrow.. Can I do that ?

I was thinking of doing the first section cutting in and rolling the mist coat, then starting the next.. hopefully by the time the second section is done I can go back to the 1st and do the top coat of emulsion.
So approx 1.5-2 hr drying time each area if that makes sense?

The mist coat will be approx 30% water to emulsion.

Sponsored Links
If you use a lot of water, it soaks in more, so you may need two (or more) mist coats.

It goes on fast and easy, so I find, not a prob. I do it on external bricks and concrete, where durability is vital and surface is very absorbent. By the time you reach the end of the wall, the first coat is dry where you started and you can start the second mist coat. You will know you have done enough when the wall no longer sucks your brush dry, and the paint doesn't disappear into the wall.

Sponsored Links
If you use a lot of water, it soaks in more, so you may need two (or more) mist coats.

It goes on fast and easy, so I find, not a prob. I do it on external bricks and concrete, where durability is vital and surface is very absorbent. By the time you reach the end of the wall, the first coat is dry where you started and you can start the second mist coat. You will know you have done enough when the wall no longer sucks your brush dry, and the paint doesn't disappear into the wall.

Thanks John

BTW, indoors, you can mist coat in Matt white emulsion, which is cheaper than colours, and will highlight to the eye any defects that need filling or smoothing (and re-misting) before your finish coat.

I painted newly skimmed ceiling few days ago, didn't worry about percentages, just added water to the paint till the point I can apply paint to the ceiling without painting myself or the floor. Hope you get the idea! Or anything between 10-20 % is good enough.
Then 2 coats of paint and job done, admire the work.

When applying the mist coat, I do a wet on wet coat (both 10% dilution). It gives me more even finish. With the windows open and heating on, you can definitely finish it one day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back