Mist coat issue... how bad is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've recently painted two freshly skimmed rooms in my house. The plaster was left over a week to dry (this was in the really warm weather too) and it was clearly dry before I started painting.

The plasterer said to mix matt emulsion 50:50 with water for the mist coat. I used Leyland Contract Matt:

https://www.diy.com/departments/ley...nt-white-matt-emulsion-paint-10l/58089_BQ.prd

It was quite thin so I used a bit less water, more like 60:40. In hindsight, I'd have used a better paint or mixed it 9:1 as the container recommends. I didn't spot this until afterwards.

I have since added the top coat and have noticed that when the walls get knocked the paint chips off quite easily back to the plaster. The finish actually looks fine and if it wasn't for me accidentally knocking the corner of a mirror frame against the wall I wouldn't have known about the issue.

What I want to know is, providing we don't keep bashing the walls, is this likely to be OK? Or is it likely the paint will start to come off by itself at some point in the future?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's been a good few days now.

What happens if you give it a prod with a (clean) finger in a discreet low level position?

It's been a good few days now.

What happens if you give it a prod with a (clean) finger in a discreet low level position?
Nothing. It’s only when it gets caught with something sharp edged like a mirror frame or similar. Some small patches have pulled off from the yellow Frog tape which is supposed to be for freshly painted walls

Sponsored Links
Nothing. It’s only when it gets caught with something sharp edged like a mirror frame or similar. Some small patches have pulled off from the yellow Frog tape which is supposed to be for freshly painted walls
Sounds fairly normal, I wouldn't worry about just yet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back