Mist Coat Revealed Stains on newly skimmed wall

Bon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Got the mist coat on our newly skimmed kitchen walls (using Dulux trade vinyl matt, thinned with water 1:5, water:paint as instructed on the tin) last night and in some areas what can only be described as "splashes" have appeared.

It looks as if it's where the plasterer has "brushed in" (apologies if that's the wrong term!) the internal corners with some sort of liquid and the splashes are a result of this as the largest mark is at the bottom of an internal corner and it looks as if something has run down the walls.

Just wondering if there is anything I should be doing while the walls are at this stage (these marks weren't visible before the mist coat went on) before we start putting the top coats of paint on as I don't want it to show through!!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Sounds like PVA. I had the same problem. If its obvious splashes, you can usually peel it off from the bottom of the run. If its a general stain over a more widespread area, I found that just building up the paint covered it fine.

Cheers Dave,

I doubt I'll be able to peel it off as it's already been covered by the mist coat, but hopefully the subsequent coats will cover it up.

Does anyone else have any ideas (not that I'm dismissing Dave's ;), would just like to get as many opinions as possible )

for the really bad walls I used Zinsser BIN. It went on well and allowed the paint to adhere to it.

Sponsored Links
Just finished a nightmare job with exactly the same problem. Went down the ZIN BIN route but this created a few more probs. The emulsion took twice as long to dry over the touched up areas and, probably due to the slow drying time, these areas came up flat whereas the rest of the walls had a slight texture. Took 4 coats to get an even finish.

I must stress though that the wifie (despite all my advice) had got in some fancy "chalky finish" Craig & Rose paint which was horrible to use and this could have been a contributing factor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back