Mist coat - Watering Glidden Contract Matt for 2nd coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I bought Glidden Contract Matt to mist coat newly plastered/skimmed walls and ceiling. I watered it down 50:50 for the first coat as adviced by the guy at the dulux decorators centre. I then went around the room and sanded and filled where necessary but now i'm now sure what to do...

Do i apply a second coat of glidden contract followed by the final coat (of the paint we've chosen) or just go with the final coat straight awya? I'm after a really nice smooth finish. And if i was to 2nd coat with glidden contract do i need to water it down again or not?

Any advice appreciated.

thanks

Sponsored Links
First of all I personally think a 50/50 mist coat is a bit on the weak side. Depending on what brand of paint I'm using I normally thin down with about 20 to 30% water. If you are using the Glidden as your final finish then apply two neat coats or if you have chosen another paint for your finish two full coats will do. Sometimes again depending what brand of paint you are using the top coats can be thinned slightly with about 10% water just to ease application

First of all I personally think a 50/50 mist coat is a bit on the weak side. Depending on what brand of paint I'm using I normally thin down with about 20 to 30% water. If you are using the Glidden as your final finish then apply two neat coats or if you have chosen another paint for your finish two full coats will do. Sometimes again depending what brand of paint you are using the top coats can be thinned slightly with about 10% water just to ease application

thanks mac. i ended up using glidden as my final coat and slapped it on neat. I've only done one coat and it looks really good. I'm thinking perhaps i won't bother with the second coat.

one more question... is it okay to use glidden vinyl silk in the kitchen as a final coat? I'm trying to keep the cost but at the same time don't want to do something daft and have to repaint in a few years.

Vinyl silk is fine in a kitchen or bathroom because it is more wipeable and resists moisture better than matt. Or you could use acrylic eggshell.

Sponsored Links
First of all I personally think a 50/50 mist coat is a bit on the weak side. Depending on what brand of paint I'm using I normally thin down with about 20 to 30% water.
That's the way to do it; for the initial mist coat, I only ever use chaep own brand matt, apply 2/3 coats in quick sucession.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back