Mist coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I would like some advice if i could. I had my hall, stairs and landing plastered about 2 weeks ago and at the weekend i decided to give it the mist coat as plaster was dry, i used crown matt emulsion magnolia and mixed it till it was to single to double cream consitency and applied to the walls using a roller and a brush. my only concern after reading other posts on here is that my mist coat was not thin enough can anyone offer any advice as im starting to get paranoid that i have messed up ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Well it does sound a little on the thick side, not much you can do now really other than remove it, I would'nt worry to much at this stage, if you rolled well out and did'nt apply it to thickly.

Dec

thanks for your reply i did roller over the wall in sections and then went over it again my only concern is that i have put to much on! As round the edges where i have brushed its still see through and where i rollered there are patches which are see through but most are not. Is there anyway to remove the paint and start again without ruining the plaster?

Sounds like bad application, you could get yourself a pole sander and sand it well back and start again, a pic would be handy.

Dec

Sponsored Links
Well I can't see the pics, now stop panicking you have'nt broken any cardinal rule with regard to Decorating, sand it back no need to remove the paint just provide a uniform finish caused by either brush or roller when your done post back and one of us will point you in the right direction.

Dec

when you say sand back how far should i go? and what would be the next step after doing this?

lee

Looking at the pictures it doesn't seem too bad but it certainly needs another coat. The areas where you have cut in with a brush are just patchy because the paint hasn't been applied as thickly as with a roller. I'm not certain that it currently needs sanding back but the pictures could be deceptive. If the paint is rough/ looks thick then sanding could be required but only enough so that it is smooth and even. Ensure you any remove dust before applying more paint.

As Dec says - don't panic and all will turn out well.

You may want to water the mist coat down a little further for the currently unpainted areas if you feel it is too thick.

Well I can see them now, if you look at the first pic you will notice that there is no uniformity between cutting in and rollering. Sand back getting rid of any ridges and uneven textures, dust off and start again, when cutting in dont spread the paint to far try and keep an even and consistent film and feather out the edges not to leave any heavy deposits of paint that will show through when rollering.

Take your roller as tight to the edge as you can this will again help uniformity, when using the roller dont over roll try and apply it evenly dont be afraid to load it just roll out evenly and consistantly.

Dec

I have done all the walls in the hall and landing with this coating i have tried to scrape it off but seems to be on there except when i put masking tape on there to undercoat the skirtings it did lift a little. Would i be correct in saying i could sand it down with some fine paper then re mist coat it and i wont have any problems with flaking in the future.

Thanks for all your advice

Sorry to keep on just wanna make sure i do it right!! So i just give the paint i put on a quick sand over with say 180 grit the re mist coat it?

Yes just sand back if you find that 180 is'nt doing the job then lower the grit, get it flat and uniform. And try and follow the advice on application that here is I think your main problem.

Dec

Thats the bit i dont quite understand as the walls feel smooth apart from bits if dirt the paint has picked up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back