Mist Coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Quick question ref mist coating. I plan to use Dulux trade paint to decorate the whole of my flat. Do I need to use a Dulux brand for the mist coat.

Sorry - just had the rooms skimmed.

Also had my skirting boxed with a combo of an MDF material and what I belive to be a pine skirting. Should I use the same primer etc for both - I want to have them looking a white silk - is this ok?? Some paints say that they have a primer in them already.

Any help to a novice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :LOL:

Sponsored Links
tone123 said:
Hi All,

Quick question ref mist coating. I plan to use Dulux trade paint to decorate the whole of my flat. Do I need to use a Dulux brand for the mist coat.

Sorry - just had the rooms skimmed.

Also had my skirting boxed with a combo of an MDF material and what I belive to be a pine skirting. Should I use the same primer etc for both - I want to have them looking a white silk - is this ok?? Some paints say that they have a primer in them already.

Any help to a novice will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :LOL:

Hi tone, personally I would stick with the paint you got, I know some people buy a cheapo tin of matt for the miscoat, and then use a quality brand for the top coats.

You have just paid out a small fortune to have your walls skimmed,so there is no point in skimping on the quality of the paint, (am not saying you are) but try and stick to the one brand.

Regards to your pine part of boxing in, you have to treat this slightly different to the MDF.

Firstly its pine, and has knots, therefore the knots have to be sealed with a suitable oil base knotting solution.
Then if you wish you can buy a primer & undercoat all in one,to go on after you have sealed the knotts.
But then, you would still have to do at least an extra undercoat or two on top of that, before you did your top coat, if your after a white silk finish, then you are probably thinking of satinwood.

MDF...., you dont have seal any knots, as there isnt any, but you have like furry bits on it, so you would have to get a fine sandpaper and sand the MDF, then, me personally, would undercoat the MDF, but thin down the first coat, as will suck the undercoat like no ones business.
When dry, again sand down, specially the ends and if you have any beading, as this does tend to fur up a bit.
Then I would undercoat again, again slightly thinning it down, and again when dry lightly sand down.

If your happy with the two undercoats, then you do your top coat.

Again, me personally, I sometimes do two undercoats, and two satinwoods, or two eggshell.

If I am doing gloss as my top coat I would do 3 undercoats, but everyone is different. :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back