Mitre Saw Recommendation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be fitting some new 169mm skirting boards to a bedroom in a couple of weeks, and this will be my first foray into the art of mitre'ing.

Can anyone recommend a decent bit of kit that will get the job done?

Screwfix have this on offer at the moment and for the price it looks attractive am I correct in thinking though it won't handle mitre's (bevel cuts) on 169mm boards?

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/98832...e-Saws/Titan-210mm-SF210JSL-Sliding-Mitre-Saw

I realise you get what you pay for but is this a solution?

Other than that I am open to suggestions and happy to consider a bit of elbow grease (hand saw and box) if this is the best solution.

I read that a Trend Anglefix is also good kit as it works out the exact angles before you cut.

As always all good advice is valued........

Sponsored Links
the 120mm cross cut is wrong a slider will be around twice that amount

the reveiws look ok just wonder how many negatives were removed ;)

It will probably be fine. But I would bear the following in mind

With cheap saws, you get cheap blades which do not cut particularly brilliantly - depends on how much 'break-out' you're prepared to accept.

Cheap castings - the fences either side of the blade may not be in line with each other and may not be exactly square to the line of cut.

Cheap sliders - check for lateral movement/sloppiness in the sliding mechanism. This is the intrinsic area of weakness in all chopsaws, esp cheap ones.

Lasers on chopsaws are only as accurate as their mountings, and cannot always to be relied on - even on more expensive examples (such as my workshop's new Festool).

The Screwfix reviews seem pretty good, but I see one that mentions problems with the work-piece clamp. If you're going to be cutting long lengths of skirting, you'll need a fairly sturdy clamp.

Good luck! In your position, I'd get one. I'm sure there won't be anything that can't be fixed with caulk!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back