Mixer, Mixer w/Pump or electric shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having a Baxi Combi Boiler installed Thursday, we're not sure how the water pressure is in the house or what pressure the hot water will be when all is installed...(I plan on asking the plumber while he is here what he would recommend as well)

My question is, what are the pros and cons of each and what do you all prefer? Costs for installation? thanks!

Sponsored Links
Your water pressure is a very important consideration you need to look at before you choose which boiler to install?!

:confused:

As once you choose a combi, that's the hot water pressure your stuck with.

as far as i know the boiler is a top of the line... it was installed into the house about a year ago, but was removed when the house was broken into and the thieves couldnt get it out... Long story but the previous owner has the boiler ( so I am not sure of the model though ) and is paying for the boiler to be reinstalled (part of our agreement and due to insurance reasons) anyways,

As it was installed once before, the previous owner said it was a really good pressure and that he thought a mixer non pumped shower could be installed.

I guess I will wait til thursday and ask the the plumber all the little details :) Thanks for the reply!

I should mention to, that the thieves took ALL of the pipes, including, but not limited to every bit of copper they could manage to squeeze out of the house. The lines they couldnt get, they snipped. So we don't even have a way to turn on the mains water to check the pressure.

he thought a mixer non pumped shower could be installed.
With a combi boiler, that is the only shower that can be installed.
Pumped showers require stored hot & cold water.

That is why pressure and flow must be known before a combi is installed - otherwise you will be lumbered with a useless hot water system.

Sponsored Links
right, im onto it, calling the guy to find out the model number, so hopefully i can have the plumber install a shower as well.

I'd go for an electric shower every time.
I've lived with both. The drawback with the shower on the combi is when someone turns a tap on and off you get fluctuations of hot and cold at the shower. Especially if the plumbing has not been well designed.
This problem has been largely overcome by mains pressure systems with storage but rather expensivehttp://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/Mains_Pressure_Hot_Water_Systems.htm
A 9.5kw or higher electric shower will ensure an enjoyable shower every time.

I'd go for an electric shower every time.
I've lived with both. The drawback with the shower on the combi is when someone turns a tap on and off you get fluctuations of hot and cold at the shower. Especially if the plumbing has not been well designed.
This problem has been largely overcome by mains pressure systems with storage but rather expensivehttp://www.gasapplianceguide.co.uk/Mains_Pressure_Hot_Water_Systems.htm
A 9.5kw or higher electric shower will ensure an enjoyable shower every time.

What would the average electric shower install costs be?

I am from America, where these electric showers are not common, so I am very unfamiliar with them, but know a mixer shower like the back of my hand lol

Firstly, as you will have a combi, you can't have a pump as you are not allowed to pump mains water, only stored.

Everyone is different, but I would get a good thermostatic mixer valve and use the hot water from your boiler, if pressures are up to it. Thermostatic valves will keep the temp. constant. I have never used an electric shower that gives as good a shower as a mixer valve. Electric showers often have disappointing flow, are more expensive to run and often more expensive to install.

Whitespirit says you get a better shower from the combi, I suppose we have to define "better".
If that means more ping, more water , more heat, more gas consumption, then if thats what you want ,then fair enough.
I would be more interested in conserving energy, saving water, and considering the environment while having a pleasant shower.
To each his own.

Whitespirit says you get a better shower from the combi, I suppose we have to define "better".
If that means more ping, more water , more heat, more gas consumption, then if thats what you want ,then fair enough.
I would be more interested in conserving energy, saving water, and considering the environment while having a pleasant shower.
To each his own.

You can have your trickle. I'll have my invigorating, refreshing shower. Doubt mine will cost any more, as electric is always more expensive than gas when heating water. :rolleyes:

If you have swallowed the green propoganda, that's for you to worry about. You might have a point about saving water though, seeing as Yorkshire nearly ran out of the stuff a few years back. Trouble up resevoir, lad! :LOL:

ecoTEC exclusive 838 - 11.2 - 30kW <-- this is the boiler we are having installed.

Name Vaillant ecoTEC Exclusive 838 Combination Boiler Natural Gas
Product Code 100191
Width (mm) 480
Height (mm) 800
Depth (mm) 450
Output (Watts) 37.2
Output (BTUs) 126926
Flow Rate (L/min) 15.2
Output (kW) 15.2

Is this sufficiant for a mixer shower?

I take it you mean 37KW DHW output.
This would be loads for a good shower.

Quote: White spirit ,(If you have swallowed the green propoganda, that's for you to worry about)

By your own admission you are not concerned with the environment but merely yourself.
You have sought to belittle me with your comments but I have no intention of retaliating to that .Methinks you shout too loudly.
Ofcourse gas is cheaper than electricity, but the cost to the environment is greater the harder the flow and the length of time spent in the shower, whether it be gas or electricity.
Remember there will be people on this planet in a thousand / million years time. There is a finite amount of gas available to us and when its gone its gone.

I take it you mean 37KW DHW output.
This would be loads for a good shower.

Plumbers been and says a mixer tap with shower will suffice, so on the off chance, i had an over the tap shower head (a cheapy from argos), so i popped it on the taps, just to get an idea of how much pressure would come from the head and surprisingly, I have an awesome flow.,...I can NOT wait to install now :)

Only problem I can foresee is loss of pressure, when the kitchen sink is turned on.... it is a dramatic drop as well, to near trickle. So, I guess we will instill the rules, NO TAPS ON when someone is in the shower!

Alas this pressure drop is the only problem. We had the same in our last house. Even someone flushing the toilet gave us problems.
When we bought this house it had quite an old system in place. A vented system with a hot water storage cylinder.
We are very happy with this arrangement but need to think about upgrading the boiler to a more efficient model.
I will go for a combi/condensing but I intend keeping my hot water cylinder for our shower but use the "on demand" for sinks.
Anyway thanks for getting back and enjoy your showers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back