Mixer Shower - airlock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI everyone!

I've got a mixer shower (like a horizontal bar).

No matter what I do with the temperature control I only get hot water coming through, and that's pretty slow on its own. Someone suggested I turn off the water to see if that makes a difference, but it didn't - so I think the cold water isn't getting through. I think there may be air locked in the cold pipe, but I don't know an easy way of getting rid of it.

Can any kind soul on here help? :)

p.s. it's not a combi boiler if that makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
There's no pump.

I've checked all the other hots and colds around the house and they're fine.

Sponsored Links
We had it fitted last week.

I didn't want to say anything bad about plumbers, but we've been trying to ring the guy who did it but he's not answering his phone... :rolleyes:

I'm reasonably handy so I was thinking it might be easier if there was something I could do.

can you isolate the hot/cold feeds.
then at the rear of the mixer where it attaches to the wall their are the two nuts that hold it to the wall.
undo the two nuts and remove the mixer, then open the cold isolation valve let the water run into the bath and it should clear any air.
then replace the mixer.
check the mixer it maybe a check valve in the mixer sticking.

Thanks seco.

I don't think there are any isolation taps/valves. I thought of trying to switch them off and on but couldn't find any. He's just simply taken the old mixer off and put the new one on.

Could I loosen the nut that's showing just enough to let the air out, like bleeding a radiator?

you can try slacken the cold.
but be careful the hot will be hot.
you can isolate the hot by shutting the gate valve that feeds the cylinder should be just above the cylinder in the airing cupboard.

I'm off out in a mo, so I'll try it tomorrow.

Thanks very much seco! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back