Mixer shower change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My shower in my bathroom, is a round mixer type, and is concealed, I cannot see the pipes, only the mixer dial and lever. I guess these are common types of showers.

I want to replace it as it is dripping and stiff and turn on and off and in general quite old.

The query I have is, how do I get to the pipes and the back of the mixer? The shower is tiled. Am I right in thinking the mixer is screwed to a wall behind the tiles somewhere? Should there access to it somewhere?

Thank you for your help.

Sponsored Links
Yes there is a white round plastic plate around the mixer dial. This doesn't look like it can be pulled off though over the dial.

It all depends where the pipes are installed. I recently had to do something similar. The pipes were buried in the wall on the landing and came through to the shower on the other side of the wall, so the plaster in the landing was disturbed leaving the bathroom wall in tact.

First, I would suggest that you try to find a replacement mixer that fits the pipework as it is. If not, then you will have to find out whether the pipes run up or down and if it's a solid wall, which side they are buried. It's unusual for access to be left especially if it would eb on view as it doesn't look nice.

Sponsored Links
It just says aqualisa on it. No model or number. I don't know how to remove the dial. There seems to be no screw or anything?

Use a DIY metal / pipe detector, have a look in the loft, or lift a couple of floor boards.

Here's what I did if it helps. Click here for a link to the thread with before & after photos

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back