mixer tap sending cold down the hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an issue where a bath shower tap mixer is sending cold directly down the hot supply. Is this fairly common? Can the mixer be repaired with a new washer?

It is a manual mixer, the old traditional Edwardian type where shower sits on top of taps.

Sponsored Links
I accidentally sent cold up the hot with a garden hose sink tap adapter and ended up back feeding the cold storage tank in the loft and sent water out the overflow

Steve that is obvious that would happen as cold mains runs as much higher pressure that a tank fed pipe. Not sure how that sheds any sort of light on my question about a shower bath mixer internally sending water through the wrong pipe. This is a sealed system and the problem seems to be affecting the mains pressure going through the boiler therefore not allowing it to fire.

Sponsored Links
You need to put a non-return valve on your hot pipe
This will prevent cold water getting into the hot pipes BUT the pressure of the cold water will shut the valve thus preventing any hot water getting to the shower.

A pressure reducer on the cold supply would be a better quick fix solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back