Mixing paint to make the colour stronger.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, I've painted the wallpaper in my living room with Almond White by Dulux, and now there is a thin strip of wall that separates the wallpaper with the part that adjoins with the ceiling. Sorry if this is confusing, i'm unsure of the right terminology.

Anyway, what i would like to do is to paint the Almond White on that thin strip, but to make it a little stronger/darker to add contrast. What paint can i add to make it stronger? I guess adding several coats could be one way, but that would be messy,expensive and time consuming.

Also, if i wanted to add a hint of brown to it, would i simply just have to add a brown paint?

Hope all that makes sense.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If it's water based paint, pretty much any other water based paint should mix with it fine, so whatever dark colour you have a dreg of in the shed will mix. I would suggest pouring off a small amount into a pot (enough to do the strip) and adding in a little bit of a dark colour at a time to see what effect it has. You may find that a tiny bit makes a much deeper colour quite easily, so go steady.

Test paint a piece of scrap wood and dry it quickly with a hairdryer to see what the colour looks like (water based paints usually dry a bit darker). Hold it up in the space you want to paint and you can see what it looks like next to the other colour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back