Can I prime and paint over this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I'm new to the forum and looking for some sound advice.

I've just started stripping the wallpaper in our living room. Underneath is one coat of white paint and then bare plaster. As you can see from the pics, a lot of the white paint has come away with the wallpaper leaving the grey plater showing underneath.

My question is, how can I make this surface "paintable" without getting the plasterer in or using lining paper?

The remaining paint isn't "flaking" or peeling at all. I certainly don't want to sand it all off. Could I simply use two or three coats of primer then add two of colour?

Cheers

jqj538.jpg

28is139.jpg

Sponsored Links
Ideally you'd plaster it, secondly you'd line it or skim the wall with a filler like toupret tx130.

If you paint over that it wont look great, a single coat of paint is very thin and is very poor at covering surface defects, in fact ten coats of paint is unlikely to make much difference. Whatever you do i'd run a quick coat of thinned (20-30%) emulsion over it first (except if you replaster), or a paste size if you line.

Do you mean use the filler on the entire wall or just any defects? The pics possibly make the wall look worse than it is. It's actually very flat and the layer of white paint is extremely thin

Yep with the toupret stuff you mix it up and put a thin skim over the whole lot then rub it down

Sponsored Links
Totally agree with the above. A good idea is to use a caulk board to skim the filler over with. I haven't used toupret before but have used easifill in these situations with good results. Some people don't like easifill but I swear by it! ;)

No not that stuff it'll cost you a fortune and its not pliable enough. Funnily enough i can't find it either, i think i got it from Brewers, it could be though that they've withdrawn it. TBH its fine for one wall but if its a whole room (because of the dust) you'd be far better having a plasterer skim it and if your skills are limited you may find it difficult. Easifill works the same way and can be very useful but its comparably coarse when put against the toupret.

Getting a quote from the plasterer on Wednesday! :) Cheers for your help though.

Good choice.

I've been in this position many times and the best way forward is to have the wall(s) skimmed. This way you will achieve a perfect finish. This is important as if the finish is not perfect it will noticeably stand out and you'll regret it.

I've had this many a time, I've always sanded it with a flatbed sander, then just painted.

As long as the plaster isn't missing, by far the cheapest option.

Getting a quote from the plasterer on Wednesday! :) Cheers for your help though.

Good choice.

I've been in this position many times and the best way forward is to have the wall(s) skimmed. This way you will achieve a perfect finish. This is important as if the finish is not perfect it will noticeably stand out and you'll regret it.

Cheers mate. As I said to the Mrs, it's our living room, our most important room and we certainly aren't moving anytime soon. Money well spent I think.

Agree with Xr4x4. The wall isnt as bad as it looks. A good sanding with an orbital sander, clean off and rinse any paste residue off with soapy water and apply a couple of coats of white matt. Check any filling needed and two coats of your chosen finish. Certainly doesnt need re plastering.

Agree with Xr4x4. The wall isnt as bad as it looks. A good sanding with an orbital sander, clean off and rinse any paste residue off with soapy water and apply a couple of coats of white matt. Check any filling needed and two coats of your chosen finish. Certainly doesnt need re plastering.

Thanks for that, that was my thinking.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back