Can I wallpaper over flakey paint ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi !
My kitchen Is a very small space with one window for ventilation, when I moved in 4yrs ago my landlord moved the kitchen around (very poorly) so my cooker is now away from the window. Since then, where the cooker is and where my kettle has been moved around - the paint on the walls have peeled and flaked. Some places are flakey other are fine (the wall underneath the paint was new plaster)

So ... My questions - can I just put wallpaper straight onto the flakey paint after taking most of the flakes off ?
If I do wallpaper, will my cooker and kettle effect the wallpaper on the wall ?
Do I need to sand and prime and all the other DIYer things I have no idea about !?

Thanks for your help :)
Beci

Sponsored Links
There are wall coverings designed for kitchen use, but they are not exactly the cutting edge of design. Any covering that is not washable could look dirty very quickly.
Scrape and sand off all the flakey bits, apply a thinned coat of emulsion (20-30%) to bare spots, buy a bag of Toupret powder filler, mix it up skim over where the flaking had occured, rub down smooth and flat, apply thinned emulsion to filled areas, allow to dry and paint in acrylic eggshell

Thanks for your reply Dcdec,

I was wondering if I put more paint on will it peel again or could it have been due to the type of paint that was used originally? I'm not sure what it is/was.

And with the powder filler - is this an easy thing to do as my DIY skills are fairly limited :)

scrape off what's loose. If it's too firmly attached to scrape off, it's probably too firmly attached to fall off.

In a rental kitchen, it might have been painted over the layer of greasy dirt that builds up from cooking. Scrub it with sugar soap.

Sponsored Links
Thats true, rentals don't get the best of care ..

As for filling, just put a small and i mean half an inch amount of water into a bucket and gradually add the powder whilst turning it over and mixing it with a filling knife, if its too stiff add a little more water and if to thin add powder, you need to get a consistancy that will spread nicely over the wall but has some stiffness so that it does its job. With flaky paint you only really need to pass over it with a small amount of filler, get yourself some of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/harris-continental-filling-knives-3-piece-set/41601

Work fairly quickly to avoid the filler going too hard too soon

Of course if your worried about mixing up you could get some ready made like this

http://www.decorating-tools.co.uk/o...n=GoogleBase&gclid=CMeT7JODi7ECFU4lfAodl1uvNg

Anything that says on the tub lightweight or easy sand is what you need

Thats odd, looking at the picture its got the halls beeline label on it, i thought that it was made or at least made on license by/from an american company?

Thought it was different, couldn't put my finger on it, or am i losing the plot?

Guess they must have bought the brand?

A friend of mine had the same problem when he bought an old house. You cannot just put the wallpaper on top of the paint. Follow dcdec's a advice and make sure you get rid of everything possible. It will require some effort to get the walls ready for wallpapering.

Thanks for all your reply's :)

Meh - I just wanted a quick fix seeing as its not my own property but I suppose if I want a nice place I better roll the sleeves up !!

Thanks again ....

Beci

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back