MK Garage boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Why is it that MK sell their garage kit (2 way consumer units with RCD) with a 6A MCB for presumably lighting and 16A MCB for what?

My OSG tells me that I should run any power circuits as a) a ring in 2.5mm off a 30/32A MCB or b) a radial in 4mm off a 30/32A MCB or c) a radial in 2.5mm off a 20A MCB.

So where on earth does a 16A fit in - or have I just had a bad day and aren't seeing something very obvious?

Sponsored Links
bad day, iguess.

you dont have to protect a ring with a 32a mcb, you can use smaller, also it reduces the size of cable required to said outbuilding if only 22A will be aavilable

Cremeegg said:
Why is it that MK sell their garage kit (2 way consumer units with RCD) with a 6A MCB for presumably lighting and 16A MCB for what?

My OSG tells me that I should run any power circuits as a) a ring in 2.5mm off a 30/32A MCB or b) a radial in 4mm off a 30/32A MCB or c) a radial in 2.5mm off a 20A MCB.

So where on earth does a 16A fit in - or have I just had a bad day and aren't seeing something very obvious?

The clue is in the title... On Site Guide. The 3 circuits you mention are standard circuits but there is no rule saying you can't protect a socket circuit with a 16A MCB.

Be that a ring or a radial.

I often come across rings (usually upstairs) that are fused to 20A.

Sponsored Links
Cremeegg said:
Thanks - I guess I shouldn't always go by the book

No, people should UNDERSTAND the theory behind the regs, not just quote and follow them parrot fashion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back