mk3 astra steering rack gaiter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my astra mk3 just failed its mot on the steering rack gaiter being burst
does anyone know of an easy way to change this with out taking the rack off ??? pls help thanks

Sponsored Links
my astra mk3 just failed its mot on the steering rack gaiter being burst
does anyone know of an easy way to change this with out taking the rack off ??? pls help thanks

I would not think it necessary to completely remove the steering rack,
just disconnect trackrod end, from steering arm.
Slacken the locknut, and remove the trackrod end, cut old gaitor away from rack, slide new gaitor into place, secure using either metal clips provided (with new gaitor) or use nylon cable ties, cut the end short when done up.
refit trackrod end, in exactly the same place with locknut, steering geometery should not have been altered.

Wotan

That method would work if the Astra had the type of rack your thinking of. It's a piece of cake to take the rack of though, you'll have it done inno time. It can be done with the rack on but it's easy to get off.

Will nylon cable ties be accepted in place of metal clips by all MOT stations?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Nylon ties are accepted - I've fitted replacement gaitors before than actually come with the ties in the kit.

I've also fitted split gaitors before - AFAIR you glue the two halves together. Clearly you pump the grease in afterwards otherwise the mating surfaces wouldn't be grease free. ;)

It's not a drive shaft boot we're talking about here, it's a sterring rack boot. So there should be no need to pump grease in.

I seem to remember that steering racks used to need an extreme pressure oil.

They are probably made of plastic now!

Tony

Back