Mobo versus chip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if this is a vague kind of question or not ..?

What is most likely to suffer first, THE MOTHERBOARD OR PROCESSOR or RAM .
When theirs been a heat issue.

Thanks for your Help.

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly the processor, but can you expand on your problem?

It is a vague question and there is no definitive answer...

Was the heat issue localised or throughout the case? Was it just a single symptom of overheating that you saw?

Bear in mind that it also depends on the airflow through your case and whether you have any hotspots due to inadequate airflow as to the possibility of multiple component failure.

All you can do is test each component in turn for stability and replace as necessary.

PROBLEM 1 LAPTOP > Keeped cutting out, hot around fan ,Then wouldnt boot up screen blank , But hear harddrive spinning and cd rom .

Tryed different ram and external monitor still no joy
.................................................................................................

PROBLEM 2 DESKTOP > PSU fan broke, sizzled cdroms harddrive, was getting into bios, But now get 2 quick beeps every ten seconds , blank screen .

Installed new PSU RAM AND HARDDRIVE still no joy

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Laptops do get hot. Mine is often too hot to have on my lap. This is one of those "I would need to see it to be sure" jobs.

If the PSU destroyed a HD & CDROM, then it's likely to have caused other damage too. You could spend time trying to sort it, but it's often cheaper to dump the system.

Some latops do indeed get to hot to sit on your lap - hence the name "notebook"
As for you problems, you say the fan in the psu went, I cant see how a faulty fan in a psu would damage the cdrom and hard disk, it would have cut out LONG LONG LONG before it got hot enough to "sizzle" them, and if it had, I'm sure more than just the drives would have "sizzled" unless I'm misinderstanding the sizzle term.
You said after that it booted and you got into bios, if this was the case, then the psu wsnt fried whatsoever at that time.
Have you gone back to basics and removed all hardware apart from PSU, cpu , a stick of ram and a vga card? have you tried resetting cmos? From your reply "
was getting into bios, But now get 2 quick beeps every ten seconds , blank screen
would give me the initial impression that something (i.e. cpu or ram timings) had been changed - that said, you dont say what happened between getting into the bios and the error beeps.
[/quote]

eggplant said:
Some latops do indeed get to hot to sit on your lap - hence the name "notebook"
As for you problems, you say the fan in the psu went, I cant see how a faulty fan in a psu would damage the cdrom and hard disk, it would have cut out LONG LONG LONG before it got hot enough to "sizzle" them, and if it had, I'm sure more than just the drives would have "sizzled" unless I'm misinderstanding the sizzle term.
You said after that it booted and you got into bios, if this was the case, then the psu wsnt fried whatsoever at that time.
Have you gone back to basics and removed all hardware apart from PSU, cpu , a stick of ram and a vga card? have you tried resetting cmos? From your reply "
was getting into bios, But now get 2 quick beeps every ten seconds , blank screen
would give me the initial impression that something (i.e. cpu or ram timings) had been changed - that said, you dont say what happened between getting into the bios and the error beeps.
I think he means that the PSU fan stopped, the PSU then overheated, causing an over-volt condition on the drives.

The trouble with this fault is that it can cause instability of the other components, even though they may seem to work ok for a time.

I would say it is naive to assume that the CPU is fine just because the BIOS can be accessed. I would like to see it perform some number crunching before I was happy with it.

I think he means that the PSU fan stopped, the PSU then overheated, causing an over-volt condition on the drives
Im still not convinced, the only time I have seen a psu fry (by voltage not heat) components is when they blow. The ones I have seen overheat cut out before hand - thats not to say it cant happen, but basing my point on how a psu works I cant see how, if the regs got that hot they would fail open circuit.
Anyways, another thought, how do you know the fan failed ? if it stil lpowers up (minus fan) then I doubt very much the psu has (previously) any problem apart from the fan/overheating.
I wasnt assuming the cpu was 100% although it does read that way, I agree that it, ram etc should be well hammered before giving them the thumbs up.
Im not convinced that this was caused by the psu fan failing though.

Ok first thanks sticking with me here.

Problem 1 > Mates destop computer.

He complained the computer was slow and acting very strange web pages duplicating themselfs times over, things like that .
its been like this for 3 days .

First thing I noticed was the heat ,the top of the case was hot hot,so i checked the PSU FAN and it wasnt moving.

So I decieded to take it home for repair , INSTALLED a new PSU , Booted up, it said please install a bootable device or something like that.

AT this point I could gain access to the bios and it was crediting the RAM . Done a utility checked on the harddrive with max blast It gave me lots of errors... ALSO HARDDRIVE OR CDROMS DIDNT WORK ON OTHER COMPUTERS.

INSTALLED NEW H/D AND CDROM great working 2 weeks down the line back here at my home , 2 quick beeps every ten seconds ,no bios access ,screen blank..?

By the way the RAM is fine .

...............................................................................................................

Proble 2 > Wife's laptop .

Getting hot around the proceesor fan all the time as laptops do, goes off never came back, the laptop that is not the wife
Press power button on and you know the rest .

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Back